Registrar's Update August 2019 (Under Construction Now)


President's Welcome

NMU Students:

Welcome to the 2019-20 academic year at Northern Michigan University.

President Fritz Erickson

P.S. Enjoy magnificent Lake Superior, but please respect the lake’s power. Do not put yourself or your friends in dangerous water-related situations. Learn more at

Student Services Offices Open Saturday, Aug. 24

The following offices will be open Saturday, Aug. 24, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. to provide student services prior to the beginning of the fall semester, which begins Monday, Aug. 26.

  • Academic and Career Advisement Center
  • Dean of Students (Including First Generation Program)
  • Disability Services
  • Financial Aid
  • First Year Experience
  • Housing and Residence Life
  • International Education Services
  • Multicultural Education and Resource Center
  • NMU Police Department
  • Student Service Center
  • Student Support Services
  • Veteran Services

Communication Tools

Northern is using online communication tools to help students stay informed about what’s going on at the university and NMU’s decision-making process, as well as a way for students to provide information to university officials.

The first tool is an electronic newsletter called Student Campus Connect. This is a modified version of the already existing faculty-staff newsletter, Campus Connect. The newsletter is delivered to student NMU email addresses twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays, during the fall and winter semesters. The newsletter includes links to news reports, special features and periodic updates from the president and vice presidents. Student Campus Connect includes student announcements and links to the NMU calendar events.

The other tool is the Student Feedback System, a website and database that facilitates helping students to get questions, concerns and compliments to the right people and departments. The website provides an online form for students to give feedback, which promptly directs feedback to the university area that can best address the issue.

Watch for more information early in the fall semester.

Register your car on the web
Parking Decal Required to Park on Campus

Students wishing to park on campus during the school year must purchase Resident Parkinga parking permit. Students have the option of registering their vehicles on MyNMU or in person at the NMU Police Department. Students who register on MyNMU will have their parking permit mailed to them. A valid vehicle registration is required if you register a vehicle in person. No exceptions will be granted.

All tickets are valid citations including those written the first week of school. Tickets issued for failure to register a motor vehicle will not be excused after the registration deadline, which is Monday, Sept. 2, 2019.  Students who need to park on campus after this date and do not have a valid permit must stop at the NMU Police Department and get a temporary permit. Temporary permits are available for up to 5 days a semester at no charge. Four-week temporary permits are available for $30.

The fee for commuters, residents and university apartment residents is $140 for the year. Second vehicle permits are half the price of the first vehicle permit. Motorcycle permits are $22.50.

Parking Decal Application

Current Students - If you have already registered for classes, please purchase your parking decal(s) on MyNMU. The application can be found under the Student Services tab. You must be registered for classes in order to purchase a parking decal.

Visitors and Guests - Please visit the NMU Police Department to receive a complimentary parking pass. Campus Map

NMU Police Department
Parking Services
100 Services Building
Phone: 906-227-1476

Laptop Distribution Dates

The Learning Resource Center will be the distribution site for notebook computers that are provided to all full-time NMU students as part of tuition and fees; part-time students who pay a rental fee. Notebook distribution will be at the LRC room 122, Thurs., Aug. 23 from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Friday, Aug. 24 from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. During early August, a complete TLC information package was sent to all full-time students who do not currently have a notebook assigned to them, via their NMU email account or, for incoming freshmen and transfer students, via U.S. mail. The package includes an assigned computer pickup time and information regarding computing services, registration and set up. Distribution information for students can be found at:

To receive a computer, a student must be currently enrolled (tuition paid or tuition payment plan selected) and registered for credit earning classes. Students must present a valid picture ID and sign a Computer Use Agreement. If the student is under 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the Computer Use Agreement.

Assistance with setting up and registering the computer will be available on-site. To receive help, students will need their NMU (email) user ID and password. First-time students should have received a user ID and password at orientation. Students who have lost or forgotten their user ID or password can go to MyUser on the web, or contact the Help Desk,, (906) 227-2468, 116 Learning Resource Center.

Students who cannot make their assigned time during the distribution will need to go to the Micro Repair Office, located in the lower level of the LRC, to pick up their computers during normal university business hours.

NMU Uses Email as the Official Way of Communicating with Students

Student at LectureNorthern Michigan University uses a student’s NMU email account as its primary means of communicating official university business, including legally required information. As a condition of enrollment, all NMU students are required to use their assigned NMU email accounts to receive communication from the university.

Graduating in December?
Don't Miss the Registration Deadline!

NMU GraduateIf you are planning to graduate at the end of the fall semester, you must register for graduation so a final degree audit can be completed to verify your eligibility. Register online the same way you would for a class or contact the Student Service Center at 906-227-1221. The deadline for registering online is Thurs., Aug. 29. After Aug. 29, those students who plan to graduate in December (and did not register), will be required to complete a Request to Add Graduation form available from the Registrar's Office.

Tuition and Fee Billing Statements Available

Tuition and fee billing statements are available for viewing and/or making payment at The due date for tuition, fees, room and board is Fri., Aug. 16.







For questions about tuition and fees, financial aid or general “start of the semester” matters, contact the Student Service Center.

Tuition and Fee Payment Plans

NMU offers three options for the payment of tuition and fees and housing charges. The options are designed to assist students and their families to meet their financial obligations to the university. More information is posted on the web at or the Student Service Center.

Student Service Center
2201 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-1221

Order Your Transcripts Online!

NMU TranscriptNorthern Michigan University has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to provide transcript ordering online through your MyNMU account. Students can order official transcripts from anywhere with an internet connection and receive an electronic PDF delivered to an email address in less than an hour. This service also sends email notifications of order status throughout the process. 

More information about requesting a transcript can be found on the How to Request a Transcript webpage.

Grade Changes

Occasionally an error is made in the calculation or recording of a grade. If you feel that a clerical error has been made in a winter or summer grade, contact your instructor immediately. Faculty must submit grade changes for clerical errors to the Registrar's Office by the 15th working day of the semester. Students formally appealing a grade issued in winter or summer must submit a grade appeal to the respective academic department within 30 calendar days of the start of the fall semester. More details regarding the grade appeal process can be found in the Student Handbook.

Registrar's Office
2202 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-2278


The university does not mail grade reports. Final grades will be available online at MyNMU after each semester. You can also access an unofficial transcript and check your class schedule using MyNMU.

Changing or Declaring Your Major

All changes to majors, except for education majors, are made by the staff in the Academic and Career Advisement Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 3302, or students may submit their request on the web. Students wishing to declare a major in education must go through the School of Education.

iphone smartphone
Academic and Career Advisement Center
3302 Hedgcock,
Phone: 906-227-2971

Sign Up Your Parents

All parents of Northern students can sign up to join the NMU Parent Partnership. This program features periodic email newsletters (or postal-mail copies Campus Tourwhen necessary) from President Fritz Erickson to parents that highlight activities taking place on campus, discuss higher education issues, and answer questions sent to the president from parents about how and why Northern operates the way it does. There is no cost to join the Parent Partnership.

So, ask your mom and dad if they’ve already signed up. If they haven't, encourage them to do so. To subscribe to the newsletter, they can go to, click on the newsletter link at the bottom of the page and fill out the brief sign-up questionnaire. If your parents need to register by mail, they can do so by writing to NMU Parent Partnership, Office of the President, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI  49855. When signing up by mail, parents should include their name, address and phone number, as well as your name and high school.

Helpful ParentIf your parents have signed up for the NMU Parent Partnership newsletter but haven’t received any of the issues, there may be a firewall or browser issue. Suggest that they put the Parent Partnership email address,, in their email address book, which sometimes enables newsletter delivery to work around such problems. If the problems continue, they should email or call 906-227-2242.

Every Student Needs to File a Local Address and Phone Number

Even though NMU uses email as a primary way to communicate with students, the university still needs an updated address and phone number. NMU faculty and staff or classmates may try to reach students by phone or important documents may be sent by mail.

If you have not given the university your local address, information will be sent to your permanent address. This could possibly result in a delay in receiving information that is time-sensitive.

You can update your local and permanent address and phone number on their MyNMU account under the Student Services tab, or stop by the Student Service Center and fill out an address change form.

Student Service Center
2201 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-1221

Access to Records - Proxy Access

Students have the option of sharing certain aspects of their academic record with others through our Proxy Access system. Granting access is done easily through the student's MyNMU account. All they need is the email address of the person they want to give access to. For more information and instructions on how to grant someone access, go to

Taking a Web Course?

New NMU LaptopAll students taking a web course will be required to complete an on-line tutorial prior to being able to access the course. This tutorial is a one-time requirement; once you have completed it, you will not need to complete it again in the future. The tutorial is available under your list of courses in EduCat. It can be completed any time, but must be done before you can log into a web course(s). The tutorial itself is estimated to take two or three hours to fully complete, although your progress is saved along the way if you want or need to take it in smaller intervals of time.

Accommodations for Family Visitors

Will Grandma be sleeping on your couch and Grandpa in your bathtub? They may be if you are participating in either the December or May commencement ceremonies but have not helped them or your other family members make lodging accommodations far in advance.

Family at GraduationHotel rooms in Marquette become completely booked months ahead of schedule and sometimes family members in town are forced to stay in Munising or Baraga – or, heaven forbid, in your apartment! In particular, the lodging establishments closest to campus often fill to capacity nine months to a year from the spring commencement date. Remind your family members that they need to act now to reserve their rooms. The mid-year commencement ceremony is Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019 at 10:30 a.m., and the spring ceremony Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. A list of local hotels, motels and bed and breakfast facilities can be found at The same message holds true for non-graduates who have family members hoping to stay close to campus during move-in and move-out periods, as well as Family Weekend (Friday, Oct. 4 - Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019.

Moving into a Residence Hall?

NMU Student MovingResidence halls open at 8 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, for the fall semester and students may check in any time after that. When you get to campus, the first place you want to go is the main desk of the residence hall to which you've been assigned to check in and pick up your room key. Please make sure that you have a picture ID with you when you arrive to check in.

To facilitate move-in, several unloading areas have been designated in the parking lots and on a few of the city streets as close to the residence halls as possible. Note that only those individuals unloading vehicles for move-in will be permitted to park in these areas. A map indicating the unloading zones, as well as other information pertaining to move-in, can be found at Look for the yellow signs indicating unloading zones.

NMU Student Moving into DormsThere will be a 45-minute time limit for unloading. Housing and Residence Life will have several garden carts available for check out at each desk, but it is recommended that you bring a handcart in case a cart isn't available when you want to check in. For several hours (approx. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.) student volunteers from each residence hall wearing yellow "Housing and Residence Life Move-In Event Staff" will be available to assist with unloading.

NMU's motor vehicle ordinances prohibit driving or parking on sidewalks and lawns. NMU Police Officers will ticket vehicles being driven or that are parked on sidewalks and/or lawns, a violation of Michigan law (a misdemeanor with a $150 fine).

Housing and Residence Life recommends that you consider bringing enough of your things to feel comfortable and to enjoy the first few weeks at school. Once you and your roommate see what you have together and how it all fits in your room, the two of you can have other items you want or need sent to you. For more information on what to bring and not to bring, check out Housing and Residence Life's site at

Expecting an Overage Check?

A notice will be sent to your NMU email address when your overage check is available. For more information contact the Student Service Center.

Student Service Center
2201 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-1221

Network User ID and Password

Wondering how to find your network user ID and password used to access NMU network and email services? MyUser is a web server that enables students, faculty and staff to check the Man Studyingstatus of their NMU accounts. You can also change your account password and personalize settings such as your password recovery options. MyUser also offers the ability for users to check the status of login, email, web and personal information. For more information contact the Help Desk,, 227-2468, 116 Learning Resource Center.

Living Off-Campus

JeepTo assist students living off-campus, a full range of services are available from the Dean of Students Office.

Off-Campus Housing List

Landlords list available rental units on the Dean of Students website. Listings may include rooms in houses, apartments, special situations and "roommates needed."

Renter Consultation

You may seek assistance from the Dean of Students Office for roommate conflict resolution, housing code violations, and tenant/landlord relation matters.

Renters' Rights Information

The Dean of Students website includes resources to help you deal with your rental situation. There is information available on the following topics: eviction, illegal eviction and utility access, security deposits and property maintenance, For Leasea brief guide to resolving maintenance hassles and noise and other disturbances. Also available are sample leases and form letters related to maintenance and security deposits.

Commuter Student Frequently Asked Questions:

Everything from parking information to where someone can warm up a meal can be found on the commuter students FAQ.

A list of Child Care Resources

A list of child care resources is available on the Dean of Students website.

It includes links to Head Start, Community Coordinated Child Care (4 C's of the U.P.), Child and Family Services and NMU Career Services part-time off campus list for child care.

Dean of Students
2001 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-1700

Student Employment

CafeteriaCat Career Tracks is an online system that allows you to manage your job search more efficiently. To utilize this system, activate your account at Cat Career Tracks.

Log in today to view all of the available job openings, both on- and off- campus. Both work-study and regular employment positions are posted.

On-campus applications and resources (resume building, job search help, etc.) are available in the Cat Career Tracks Resource Library and also on the Career Services web site. For a complete list of services offered, contact Career Services.

Career Services
3302.3 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-2800

NMU Offers Emergency Text-Message Alerts

Northern Michigan University offers an instant text-messaging program to alert students, faculty and staff to on-campus emergencies.

While the service is free – aside from any text messaging fee associated with the cell phone carrier – it isn't automatic. Individuals must opt in by registering at Texting in classroomYou must have an NMU email account and a phone that accepts text messages. You can also sign up family members to receive the same alerts sent to the campus community.

"There is talk of making this type of service a requirement for all universities," said Jeff Mincheff of the NMU Police Department. "A driving force behind this is the Clery Act and its emphasis on timely notification. It's estimated 95 percent or more of the campus population has cell phones with text-messaging capability, so it's an easy way to contact a majority of the people you're trying to reach in an urgent situation."

The program is designed to enable all types of text messaging, but NMU uses the system only for emergency notifications and announcement of inclement weather related closures.

"We already have a variety of tools that we can use to try to contact members of the NMU community in times of an emergency, such as email, voice mail, large monitors in some facilities, websites, announcements to media outlets and person-to-person communication. This is another tool that affords us one more way to try to get information out as quickly as possible," said Mincheff.

To learn more about NMU's emergency text messaging program, go to

Graduate Student News

Student at LaptopGraduate Student Orientation-Whether you are a new or returning student, our optional online Graduate Student Orientation will help you navigate your way to success.

Non-Degree Students-If you plan on obtaining a graduate degree or certificate, you must complete a new application or request a curriculum change. You will need to meet the admission requirements and be admitted to the desired program in order to receive a graduate degree or certificate. There is no assurance that courses taken as a non-degree student will apply to your degree.

Plan of Study/CAPP-Online Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) is now available through My.NMU for most graduate students. CAPP is an advising tool used by both students and advisers to evaluate coursework against degree requirements and is used as a graduate program plan of study. An adviser hold will be placed on your record after the completion of eight credit hours. Note: CAPP degree evaluations are unofficial unless verified by the graduate office. Students are responsible for meeting all of the requirements specified in their graduate bulletin. If a CAPP audit is not available for your bulletin year/program, you will need to develop a paper plan of study with your adviser.

The 7-Year Rule-There is a seven year time limit on credits for graduate degrees. If you do not complete your degree within seven years, you will lose JXJ Hallcredits taken more than seven years ago unless you are granted an extension by the graduate office. Extensions may be granted in rare cases where unforeseen circumstances keeps the student from graduating on time and must be supported by the academic department. In no cases will courses more than ten years old by the time of graduation be counted towards the degree.

R Grades-Students may receive a research in progress "R" grade in a course where the primary focus is research, such as a thesis. The student has a maximum of three years from when the "R" grade is issued to complete the course requirements. Faculty may designate a deadline of less than three years if deemed appropriate. Failure to complete the specified work within the designated time frame may result in an "U" or "F" grade for the course.

Master's Capstone Project-A capstone project is required for all master's degrees and is typically identified as a thesis, a graduate research project, portfolio or file papers. For more information on this requirement, contact your adviser or the Office of Graduate Education and Research.

Electronic Thesis Submission-All theses must be submitted electronically at least 30 calendar days prior to graduation to the NMU Commons. See for complete instructions on how to submit your thesis.

Graduation-If you plan to graduate with any degree or certificate, you MUST register for graduation by the 4th day of the semester of graduation. Register online the same way as you would for a class (subject-Graduation) or contact the graduate office at 906-227-2300. Failure to register may result in not being awarded your degree.

Office of Graduate Education and Research
401 Cohodas Hall
Phone: 906-227-2300

In The News


UP MapIf you are originally from another state, but have made Michigan your permanent residence (living here year round and cut all ties with your previous domicile), you may apply for in-state residency status. If you are active in the military, a veteran, or the spouse or dependent of a veteran, you are automatically eligible for in-state residency status, but you will need to notify us so we may update your record. Students whose parents or grand parents are graduates of NMU are also eligible. Contact the Admissions (new students) or the Registrar's Office (continuing students) for more information.

Electronic Financial Aid Notifications

The Financial Aid Office uses students' NMU email accounts for communicating important information. Notifications regarding missing information, financial aid awards and award adjustments are sent to students' NMU email addresses.

Students are prompted to go to MyNMUto access their financial aid account information. Reminders about important dates such as those for filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, finalizing enrollment for financial aid purposes, turning in requested documents, and availability of summer applications will also be sent to students electronically. In addition, most required forms can be printed from

NMU GnomeStudents should check their NMU email regularly. Additional information about the Financial Aid Office can be found at The site also contains financial aid rights and responsibilities information, resources for finding scholarships and alternative loan contacts.

Semester Deletion Policy

This policy allows students who qualify to delete an entire semester of NMU grades. Students must return to the university after an extended period of time, not have attended any college for at least three years before reentry, and meet certain GPA requirements. For information, contact the Academic and Career Advisement Center.

Academic and Career Advisement Center
3302 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-2971

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Federal law requires all students who receive financial aid to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward their degrees. The intent of this policy is to ensure that students who are receiving federal financial aid for their education are making measurable progress toward completion of a degree in a reasonable period of time. This policy affects federal, state and NMU institutional aid. The policy is available on the Financial Aid website at:

Financial Aid Office
2107 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-2327

Course Repeat Policy

If you are repeating a course this semester, please notify the Registrar's Office, C.B. Hedgcock, room 2202, 906-227-2278, or email so your record can be properly adjusted. NMU counts the most recent grade in a course even if that grade is lower than the previous one. If you are receiving financial aid and are repeating a course in which you received a grade other than an "F", you should review the repeat policy for potential impacts to your current financial aid eligibility. Repeating courses may also impact your longterm financial aid eligibility. Please review the satisfactory academic progress policy.

While the university allows almost any course to be repeated, if you have failed a course two times at NMU, you must wait for one semester during the academic year before taking the course for the third time. Additionally, you must demonstrate to the head of the department offering the course that the factors that contributed to poor performance have been addressed and resolved.

Government and University Mandated Notifications

Northern Michigan University and all federally funded educational institutions are required by law to report the following information to students, faculty, staff and the university community on a yearly basis. NMU updates these reports each summer prior to publication. Please visit the consumer and safety information web page to review other consumer disclosures:

Consumer and Safety Information

Federal regulations require that institutions provide enrolled and prospective students specific consumer information about financial aid, campus, facilities, student athletes, important resources and disclosures, as well as information to promote campus security and fire safety, and to prevent drug and alcohol abuse. Because of the nature of federal, state and institution guidelines affecting financial aid programs, the information contained in this website is subject to change.

State Consumer Protection Violation Contact

Consumer SignNorthern Michigan University works diligently to maintain the highest level of integrity in all areas of its mission and daily operations. However, it is important that students, faculty, staff, alumni, community members and other consumers of NMU's services know what to do in the event of a situation that involves suspected fraud, illegal, or unethical behaviors regarding consumer protection. In addition to the university's internal policy for reporting fraud and other consumer protection violations, NMU follows the federal guideline of providing a state contact where complaints can be filed. For information on filing a complaint, go to protection.

Zero Tolerance on Copyright Infringement

FBI Anti Piracy Warning

Northern Michigan University has always maintained a zero tolerance policy for copyright infringement; it is an integral part of the university's Acceptable Use Policy that all users of the NMU community must read and agree to before being granted access to the university network.

NMU purchased a software tool to monitor the network for illegal sharing of copyrighted materials (audio, video, and software), and has been using the software since August 2007.

A first infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning email that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a period of 48 hours from the time the infraction is recorded. Once the 48 hours has passed, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network.

A second infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning email that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a minimum of 48 hours, and until the user resolves all infractions with the NMU HelpDesk. Once the infractions are resolved and a minimum of 48 hours have elapsed, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network.

A third infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning email that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a 60-day period. Third infractions by students will result in Student Code charges and will be processed through the Dean of Students Office. Once the 60-day period has passed, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network. Human Resources will handle third infractions for faculty and staff.

Those with questions regarding acceptable network and computer use should contact the NMU HelpDesk at 906-227-2468 or

Policy Regarding Sexual Offender Registration

FBI Anti Piracy WarningIn accordance with the Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act, Northern Michigan University is providing a link to the Michigan Public Sex Offender Registration Website: A link to this registry is also available on NMU's Police Department Website:

This act requires Northern Michigan University to issue a statement advising the campus community where law enforcement information provided by the state of Michigan concerning registered sex offenders may be obtained. It also requires sex offenders already required to register in the state to provide notice to each institution of higher education in the state at which the person is employed, carries on a vocation or is a student.

Annual notification required by law
Restricting Directory Information

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the university may release—without your authorization—certain information about you. This information is called "directory information."

NMU ArchivesHowever, you have the right to restrict the release of all directory information by completing a form available from the Student Service Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2201. This may be done at any time during the semester.

You may also request to withhold directory information from the university online directory.

See related articles- Implications of Restricting Your Information and Restricting Information from the NMU Telephone Directory.

The following information may be released unless you specifically request otherwise:

  • name
  • local address, local telephone number, permanent address, permanent telephone number
  • NMU email address
  • dates of attendance at the university, enrollment status, degrees earned, honors, awards, participation in officially recognized university activities and sports(includes height and weight of student athletes), current term candidacy for degrees and/or teaching certification
  • program level, class standing, major/minor
  • photographs

Requesting a restriction of any of the above categories of information will result in a confidentiality indicator being set on your record. If your name is restricted, this means that you must transact all business in person or via the web. NMU staff will not be able to assist you over the phone, nor will the university acknowledge your presence as a student to outside agencies or in university publications.

Implications of Restricting Your Information

Lock and KeyExercising your right under FERPA to restrict your information has implications university-wide. If you restrict your name, you are telling the university that you do not want NMU to acknowledge your presence as a student to any outside agency in any way. This means that you will have to conduct all business either in person with proper photo identification or on your computer at My.NMU. Staff members cannot assist you over the telephone.

Restricting all directory information results in several issues students don't often realize. It means that your enrollment cannot be verified to any outside source such as potential employers, colleges or universities or medical insurance companies. Your name will not appear in any official university publication distributed to the public, such as the Dean's List, a theater or commencement program, and no information concerning your accomplishments can be provided to the media including academic, extra curricular, or athletic recognition.

A restriction that you place on your information lasts until you remove it, even though you may no longer be a student. If you leave the university with the restrictions in place, the university may not be able to verify to a future employer or anyone else that you had attended or graduated from NMU.

Restricting Information from the NMU Directory

The following information is published each year in the Northern Michigan University online directory:

  • name
  • e-mail address
  • local telephone number
  • class standing
  • major

All students who are enrolled for the fall semester are listed in the directory unless they request non-disclosure of directory information. Students who have previously requested non-disclosure of directory information will not have their name and address published in the online campus directory.

Students may request to have their information omitted from the directory by restricting the release of directory information. Restricting directory information sets a confidentiality flag. See related article, Restricting Directory Information, for more information.

To restrict directory information, bring your picture I.D. to the Student Service Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2201.

Athletic Program Participation Rates Notification

Ladies BasketballA full report on athletic program participation rates and financial support data can be found at: A paper copy is available upon request at the Financial Aid Office or the Intercollegiate Athletics Office.

Financial Aid Office
2107 Hedgcock,
Phone: 906-227-2327
Intercollegiate Athletics Office
B109 Superior Dome
Phone: 906-227-2105

Voter Registration

Information on voting in local, state, and federal elections, including a copy of the Michigan voter registration application form, may be accessed at

What should I do so that I can vote?
If you would like to vote in the next election, you must be all of the following:

  • A U.S. Citizen;
  • At least 18 years old by Election Day (Tues., Nov. 7);
  • A resident of Michigan, and;
  • A resident of the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.

You must be registered to vote at least 30 days before the election, so keep that in mind if you are registering with the intention of voting in an upcoming General (Presidential) Election. The last day to register for the Tues., Nov. 7 General Election is on Tues., Oct. 10.

You may obtain the application at one of the following:

  • Your local Secretary of State branch office 
  • Your local county, city, or township clerk's office
  • Offices of several state agencies, like the Department of Human Services, the Department of Community Health, and the Department of Labor and Economic Growth
  • Military recruitment centers
  • Voter registration drives
  • Online at

Michigan law states that the same address must be used for voter registration and driver's license purposes. That means, if the residence address you provide on the application differs from the address shown on a driver's license or personal identification card issued by the state of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver's license or personal ID card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If a change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your driver's license or personal ID card.

Students who are voting for the very first time Voting ballotwill need to vote in person. You must also vote at the precinct of your voter registration address. The City of Marquette, Marquette Township and Chocolay Township have many different polling locations. Please refer to the polling locations map for your precinct.

If you have any questions, please contact the Marquette City Clerk's office or the clerk's office in the city or township that you reside.

Marquette City Clerk
300 W. Baraga Ave.
Marquette, MI 49855
Already Registered to Vote Back Home?
Voting is one of the most cherished and fundamental rights in our country. If you are eligible to obtain an absent voter ballot and cannot attend the polls in your hometown on election day, use of the absent voter ballot is strongly encouraged. You must do so well in advance, so file an absentee voter ballot now. More information about absentee voting can be obtained from your local clerks office or from the Michigan Secretary of State: What You Need to Know About Absentee Voting.

Equal Opportunity at NMU

Northern Michigan University is an equal opportunity institution and an equal opportunity employer.

NMU is committed to administering all employment, admission and educational policies and practices without unlawful discrimination, according to state and federal laws. These laws and policies are intended to ensure fairness in hiring, employee relations and benefits, student admissions, the provision of student services, and workplace and classroom accommodations.

Two HandsNorthern Michigan University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, national origin, color, religion or creed, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, height, weight, marital status, familial status, handicap/disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law in employment or the provision of services. NMU provides, upon request, reasonable accommodation including auxiliary aids and services necessary to afford individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in all programs and activities.

In addition, Northern is committed to ongoing efforts that increase the diversity of its faculty, staff and students.

The Dean of Students Office, 2001 Hedgcock, 906-227-1700, handles student-on-student discrimination/harassment complaints.

The Equal Opportunity Office, 105 Cohodas, 906-227-2420, handles employee, applicant, and student employee discrimination/harassment complaints.

If you have questions, or if you believe that a violation or potential violation of state or federal non-discrimination laws has occurred, is occurring or will occur, please notify the Equal Opportunity Office or the Dean of Students, as appropriate.

Dean of Students
2001 Hedgcock

Christine Greer
Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students
Equal Opportunity Office
105 Cohodas

Janet Koski
Director of Equal Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Officer and Title IX Coordinator

NMU Graduation Rates

NMU Graduation CeremonyInstitutions of higher education have been directed by the federal government to share information regarding student graduation rates.

Below are Northern Michigan University’s graduation rates by cohort based on the year that the students enrolled at NMU. These rates represent all first-time, full-time degree seeking freshmen in their given cohort year. Cells with “n/a” are empty because those points in time have not yet passed. Data for 2018 graduates will be available at the end of summer 2018 and can be requested from the Institutional Research Office by emailing or calling 906-227-2670.

Cohort 4 year % 5 year % 6 year % 7 year % >7 year %
2013 29.8 N/A N/A N/A N/A
2012 27.7 44.0 N/A N/A N/A
2011 26.2 44.0 48.8 N/A N/A
2010 24.0 40.0 45.4 47.5 N/A
2009 21.1 40.3 46.3 48.4 49.3
2008 22.6 40.7 48.1 50.2 51.3
2007 22.2 40.8 47.7 50.9 51.7

For more information on NMU graduation rates or other statistical data, check out the NMU Institutional Research website at:

ADA Accommodations

Student in wheelchairDisability Services provides assistance for students who qualify under the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA) to receive accommodations.

Students interested in requesting accommodations should contact Disability Services.

Disability Services
(located in the Dean of Students Office)
2001 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-1700

Human Resources provides assistance for employees of the university and applicants for employment who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act and amendments to receive accommodations.

An employee or applicant interested in requesting accommodations should contact Human Resources.

Human Resources
105 Cohodas Hall
Phone: 906-227-2420

Empowering Yourself – Safety Awareness

Northern Michigan University is committed to providing education and support services that empower students, faculty, and staff. Ladie doing situpsNMU is dedicated to creating a safe and respectful community that does not tolerate sexual misconduct (sexual harassment, stalking, domestic/dating violence, voyeurism), and seeks to cultivate and support a community of sexual respect and safety.

To reduce your risk of sexual misconduct, please remember these important tips: stay in touch with someone who knows where you are and who you're with; be cautious if someone tries to isolate you, even someone you know or trust; know and communicate your limits firmly and directly; limit intake of alcohol and other drugs; never leave a drink unattended; and be aware of your surroundings. These tips may assist you and are not intended to have a victim-blaming tone, as it is recognized that only those who commit acts of sexual misconduct are responsible for their actions.

If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual misconduct, please contact any university official with whom you feel comfortable or:

Janet Koski
Director of Equal Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Officer
Title IX Coordinator
105 Cohodas
906-227-2420 or

Mary Brundage (Deputy Coordinator)
Associate Dean of Students/Director of Student Success Services
201 Hedgcock
906-227-1700 or

Bridget Kyle (Deputy Coordinator)
Associate Director of Intercollegate Athletics and Recreation Sports
B209C Superior Dome
906-227-2371 or

Student's Right to Review Records (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights are:

The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days from the day the university receives a request for access. Student DetectiveStudents should submit a written request to the office housing the records, identifying the record(s) he or she wishes to inspect.

The right to request an amendment to the student's education record that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record he or she wants changed, and specify why they believe it is inaccurate or misleading.

The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without written consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. A school official may include those who contract with the university to provide services.

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20202.

NMU's complete FERPA policy can be viewed at

The Jeanne Clery Act

Notice of Availability of Annual Security Report

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act requires the university to report certain crime statistics on a yearly basis. Northern Michigan University's Annual Security Report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Northern Michigan University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.

The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting NMU Police Department or by accessing the NMU Police Department website at: For additional information or questions about the Jeanne Clery Act, please contact Jeffrey Mincheff, Cheif and Clery Compliance Officer.