Michigan Residency

NMU Crew team practicing indoorsIn general, students from Michigan pay resident tuition rates, students from outside of Michigan pay non-resident tuition rates.

Northern, like the other public universities in Michigan, charges lower tuition rates to Michigan residents, their spouses and children partially because the state universities receive some operating funds from the State of Michigan.

In most cases, if you have lived in the state of Michigan for at least six consecutive months before the first day of classes, you'll qualify as a Michigan resident.  Of course, there are always exceptions.

  • Children of NMU alumni are eligible for resident tuition rates, no matter where their parents live now. Those who receive the resident tuition rates are not eligible for non-resident merit scholarships, but are eligible for resident merit scholarships.
  • Active-duty military, their spouses and children also automatically qualify for resident tuition, but must supply documentation of active-duty status. The residency guidelines also allow students to be considered residents if they have a legal guardian who is a Michigan resident.
  • Effective Fall 2014 Honorably discharged military veterans, their spouses and dependents, are eligible for resident tuition rates and must complete our residency application and provide proof of honorable discharge.

In determining a person's eligibility for residency, each case is considered separately. Non-resident students can apply for a change in residency status by submitting a student residency application. New students should submit this form to the Admissions Office. Currently enrolled students should submit the form to the Registrar's Office.


Additional Resources

Residency FAQs

NMU's residency policy

Student residency application form

Alumni dependent certification form