Nontraditoinal student with computers

Northern Michigan University offers you our thanks and appreciation. Service members like you have committed to serving your country and fellow citizens. As a military-friendly institution, NMU is committed to helping you take advantage of your veteran benefits to pay for your college degree.

Are you ready to take the next step in your life?

We welcome current and veteran members of the U.S. military to embark on an adventure in education.To discover your passion or strengthen your skills. To expand your knowledge as a well-rounded individual. And especially to expertly prepare for new professional pursuits.

With 180 degree options, ranging from one- or two-year technical programs to bachelor’s or master’s degrees in everything from accounting to zoology, NMU has a place for you.

The Upper Peninsula has a strong heritage and high percentage of residents serving in the military and who are veterans. You will find on our campus a renewed sense of the comaraderie and community that you may have experienced in the service. Our Veteran's Lounge (3403 Hedgcock Building) is a dedicated place to connect, find resources and information, study or just relax between classes.

Northern is known for its friendly and helpful staff and faculty and for its beautiful natural environment. Students and residents enjoy fall colors, abundant winter snow, an invigorating spring and a summer kept mild by Lake Superior breezes. NMU's hometown of historic Marquette has been honored as a best place to raise a family, vacation, mountain bike, retire and much more

Our admissions and financial aid staff are available to help make your transition to NMU and the process of applying for your education benefits understandable. We are happy to address your individual concerns.

Veterans or those currently serving in the United States Armed Forces, and their covered individuals, receive resident-equivalent tuition rates. Please provide documentation of your status as a veteran, active military member, or covered individual (spouse, dependent, or individual using educational assistance*).

*Includes, but is not limited to, any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) while attending Northern Michigan University.

Contact Admissions

To talk to an admissions counselor who specializes in servicemember applications, call 906-227-2650 or 800-682-9797. The office's general e-mail address is Veterans with academic credit to transfer to NMU can e-mail

To learn how to apply to Northern, visit the Veteran's page on the Admissions Web site.

Contact Veteran Student Services

Veteran Student Services is headquartered in NMU's Financial Aid Office. Once you have applied to Northern, you'll need to work with Veteran Student Services to use your G.I. Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation or Survivors' and Dependents'  Educational Assistance Programs. Visit 2107 C. B. Hedgcock to complete the necessary paperwork.  You can also reach us by telephone at 906-227-1715 or e-mail

For more information, visit the veteran student services Web page.

Additional Campus Resources

Michael W. Rutledge
Room 2607 Hedgecock

Veterans Lounge
3403 C. B. Hedgcock

Student Organization:  Student Veterans of America Chapter

Academic & Career Advisement Center
3302.1 C. B. Hedgcock
(906) 227-2971

Counseling and Consultation Services
3405 C. B. Hedgcock
(906) 227-2980

Disability Services
2001 C. B. Hedgcock
(906) 227-1700