Northern Michigan University and NMU Theatre and Dance are thrilled to bring accessible performances to our community. As partners with Theatre Development Fund's Autism Theatre Initiative, we will now be offering a sensory-friendly performance of each show in our mainstage season!
What is a sensory-friendly performance and what should you expect?
Each sensory-friendly show is performed in a friendly, supportive environment for families and friends with children or adults who are diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder or other sensitivity issues.
Slight adjustments to the production are made, including reduction of any jarring sounds or strobe and spot lights that shine into the audience. House lights are faintly dimmed but remain on. Quiet and activity areas staffed with specialists are available in the lobby areas for those who need to leave their seats during the performance.
Sensory-friendly shows in our 2019-2020 FRT Season:
- Significant Other
- Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 1:00PM
- Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 1:00PM
Sensory-friendly shows in the 2020 North Coast Theatre Festival:
- The Wedding Singer
- Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 7:30PM
- Billy Elliot
- Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 7:30PM
- Rock of Ages
- Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 7:30PM
Past sensory-friendly productions:
- Disney's Tarzan
- Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 2:00PM
- East of the Sun, West of the Moon (a world-premiere, full-length ballet)
- Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 1:00PM
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast
- Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 1:00PM
- Mamma Mia!
- Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 1:00PM
- Legally Blonde Jr.
- Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 1:00PM
- The Full Monty
- Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 1:00PM
- What We Leave Behind: Addressing Climate Change Through Dance
- Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 1:00PM
- A Christmas Story
- Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 1:00PM
For more information about Theatre Development Fund and programming, please click here!