Admissions Information

Aaron Mellosmoen pulling out of cryo-storageEvery admissions application will require additional documents in order for an admissions decision to be made (in general, these are items like transcripts, test scores, etc.). These documents can be submitted to NMU any time after your application has been submitted. If you need help in the application process, please don't hesitate to contact us.


Freshman or First-Year student - A student who will attend NMU after completion of a high school diploma or GED but will not have attended any other college after high school completion. 

Transfer Student - A student who has completed college-level work at any college or university (but not NMU) after high school graduation, and has not completed a baccalaureate degree.

NMU welcomes students participating in dual enrollment or Early/Middle College programs to apply and enroll at NMU. Such students are considered entering first year students (with credit) if they plan to attend NMU immediately after receiving their high school diploma.  If an associate's degree is earned prior to high school graduation, students may still be considered first year students. Dually enrolled or early/middle college students are considered transfer students if they decide to continue pursuing college work after receiving their high school diploma and prior to attending NMU. See how courses transfer to NMU.

Home School first year student - A student who will be attending college for the first time after completing a high school curriculum through home schooling. This includes students who have taken college courses while still in high school.

Non-Degree Student (Undergraduate) - A student who has completed high school or equivalent who plans to take undergraduate courses for personal or professional development, and who is not planning to pursue a diploma, certificate or degree at this time. Those with a baccalaureate degree who do not wish to pursue another degree will take courses as a post-baccalaureate non-degree student (by completing the same application process).

Non-degree High School Student - A student who is enrolled in high school (not yet graduated) and also enrolled in NMU courses. This is our "Northern Promise" and includes dual enrollment, concurrent enrollment, and the Marquette Alger Technical Middle College.

Guest Student - A guest student is one who is regularly enrolled at, and eligible to return to, another college or university but who wishes to earn credit from NMU to transfer to their home institution.

Re-entry Student - A re-entry student is a student who has previously taken a course at NMU (after high school graduation), has not been enrolled for one year or longer, has not completed a baccalaureate degree, and who wishes to enroll in a future term at NMU. (Re-entry students are not required to pay an additional application fee.)  If your last enrollment was within the past year, you do not need to re-apply.  Access your MyNMU account for course registration.

Post-baccalaureate Student - A student who has obtained a baccalaureate degree (at NMU or another institution) who is planning to complete a second undergraduate degree or seek an initial secondary or elementary provisional teaching certificate. Students with earned baccalaureate or higher degrees who are not seeking an undergraduate degree or teaching certificate and want to take undergraduate level courses for personal or professional development or preparation for a graduate program should apply as post-baccalaureate non-degree.

Graduate Student - Graduate Student - A student who has obtained a baccalaureate degree who is planning to complete a graduate certificate or graduate degree.  Students with earned baccalaureate or higher degrees who are not seeking a graduate degree, nor an undergraduate degree or teaching certificate/endorsement and want to take graduate level courses should apply as a "Non-Degree Graduate Student."

Military/Veterans - Applicants are those who qualify for VA educational benefits through former or current service in the United States Military.

International Students - International students are those who are not U.S. citizens and not U.S. permanent residents (do not hold a "green card"/alien registration card).

K-12 Student - Even before you're ready for college, you can do some pretty cool stuff at NMU. And learn more about planning for college.

Online Learners - Online learners are those who will take all of their NMU coursework via the Web. Online learners should determine which type of student they are from the list above and follow the instructions for that category.

First Generation Students - NMU is First Gen Friendly.  If your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have not completed a bachelor’s degree, then you are considered a first generation college student. On average, about 35% of NMU students are first generation college students. You will apply based on the appropriate definitions above and you will find services and support readily available.