Reimbursable Expense

Please note: Effective January 1, 2011, over-the-counter medications no longer qualify as an eligible expense from your flexible spending account.

Traditional medical coverage provided by the University or your spouse's plan may not cover all health care expenses.  Under the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for health care, you can use before-tax salary dollars to pay for services such as orthodontia, eye exams, co-pays for doctor's visits, etc., to the extent such services are not reimbursed under a health plan.  In fact, almost any health, dental or vision care expense that would qualify as a deduction on your income tax return will qualify for reimbursement as long as the expense is not paid by another benefit plan.  The complete copy of IRS Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses, may be obtained at   Examples include the following:

• The deductible or the co-pay amount you pay under the health plan.  If you or a member of your family is covered under two health plans, only the amount not paid under either plan is eligible for reimbursement.

• Deductibles and co-pays for other health, dental, vision, and prescription drug plans under which you or your family is covered.

• Expenses not covered by your health plan.

• Dental expenses to the extent not reimbursed under another health plan.

• Vision expenses as well as the cost of a guide dog for the blind and special educational devices for the blind (such as a special typewriter).

• Hearing expenses, including hearing aids, special instructions or training for the deaf (such as lip reading) and the cost of acquiring and training a dog for the deaf.

• Individual psychiatric or psychological counseling to the extent not reimbursed under a health plan.

• Transportation expenses to receive medical care, including fares for public transportation and qualified actual out-of-pocket expenses.  The IRS announces standard mileage rates annually for medical purposes.  Please feel free to contact the Human Resources Department for the mileage rate.

• Miscellaneous expenses, including installation and monthly rental charges for fluoride treatment to home water (by recommendation by a dentist).

If you decide to participate in this account, you must choose the amount of before-tax pay you want deposited to your account for the year. Your deposits can range between a minimum of $100 to a maximum of $3,000 for year 2012.  Your deposits are deducted from your pay before federal, state, and Social Security taxes have been deducted.  This reduces your taxable income and your tax obligation.