The residence halls close each academic year for Thanksgiving Break, Semester Break, and Spring Break. Residence Hall students are permitted to stay during those breaks provided they complete the appropriate process for each with the Housing & Residence Life Office. Information on how to register is contained within each link below and will also be provided by residence hall staff at the appropriate time. On-campus apartment residents are not required to register.
Please see important dates and rate information below as well as links directly to each of the three break periods.
Items of Note
- Similar to when classes are in session, all entrance doors to residence hall buildings will remain locked at all times.
- Lobby desks will have limited hours which will determine when lobby entrances are unlocked.
- Guests, including NMU students from other halls, are not permitted.
- Campus dining options are limited.
Thanksgiving Break – no charge. The deadline to register online is Midnight, Friday, November 16.
- Halls close, Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
- Halls open, Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
Semester Break – weekly rates apply. The deadline to submit the Request for Semester Break Housing form is Monday, December 3.
- Halls close, Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
- Halls open, Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 8:00 a.m.
Spring Break – no charge
- Halls close, Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
- Halls open, Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
The housing contract begins Thursday, August 23, 2018, and ends Sunday, May 5, 2019. There is no additional charge for Thanksgiving or Spring breaks since each is factored into the semester housing charges, whereas the Semester break is not.