Guidelines Regarding the Records of University Staff Leaving University Employment

Records created during the course of University business are the property of the University.  For faculty, the rule of thumb in distinguishing between university records and personal papers involves the position served in by an individual with faculty rank. For example, records of faculty serving in a titled capacity such as Department Head, Academic Senate Chair, etc. would be regarded as official university records.  Lecture notes, research, presentation papers, service records, and other materials (although of potential historical value), are considered the personal papers of that faculty member.  Individuals leaving or relinquishing their positions should leave all university records for their successors.

Records of enduring value should be transferred to the Archives in accordance with the retention schedules established by the Records Analyst under the approved University Disposition Schedules.

Personal papers of faculty, staff, alumni, and records of organizations associated with the university (i.e. unions) are not regarded as official university records, but may be considered for placement in the Archives in accordance with terms agreed upon between the Archivist and owner of the material, through legal donation.

All material transferred or donated to the Archives will be considered the property of the University.

Personal Papers of Faculty 

The Archives seeks to acquire, organize, and encourage use of the personal and professional papers of Northern Michigan University faculty as a means of documenting the internal life and culture of the University community. 

Faculty members considering retirement or employment termination are encouraged to contact the Records Analyst (x1241) for consultation regarding disposition of their official university records and personal papers.  

Faculty materials of potential interest for archival acquisition include: 

  1. Correspondence: professional and personal.
  2. Records relating to service outside the university including, community, state, and national service. 
  3. Biographical material: resumes, bibliographies, biographical sketches, chronologies, genealogies, newspaper clippings, and personal memoirs.
  4. Photographs and graphic materials.
  5. Audio or video tape recordings of lectures, speeches, and discussions.
  6. Lecture notes and syllabi; and copies of speeches and/or addresses.
  7. Research files, including those on electronic format (i.e. computer disk, etc.).
  8. Departmental or committee minutes or records.
  9. Drafts and manuscripts of articles and books.
  10. Diaries, notebooks, and memorabilia.