What is it going to cost me to attend Northern?
NMU operates under a "flat-rate" tuition plan, which means students can enroll in 12 to 14 credits per semester for one rate. Fewer or more credits (1-11 or 14+ credits) are charged at a per-credit rate. Tuition and fees for full-time students includes the use of a laptop computer for all full-time students (12 credits or more a semester). MacBooks are provided to students majoring in Art and Design, which cost an additional $250/semester. To learn more about our cutting-edge technology program, visit Academic Computing Services.
- In-state students may qualify for one of several resident merit awards. See how NMU stacks up against other Michigan schools.
- Out-of-state students may qualify for one of several non-resident merit awards. See how NMU stacks up against other schools in the region.
- Out-of-state students that are dependents or grandchildren of NMU alumni, those who have received a master's, baccalaureate, or associate degree, may be eligible for in-state tuition rates. (This award would be in lieu of the National Academic Award.)
- Veterans or those currently serving in the United States Armed Forces, and their covered individuals, receive resident-equivalent tuition rates. See our Residency Application.
- Off-campus and web courses are charged per credit hour.
To make the finances a bit easier, NMU offers three payment plans for tuition, fees and housing.
Summary of Expenses for 2016-17
*For on-campus lower level coursework (up to 55 total credits)
|Tuition and fees||$9,766||
|Room and board||$9,838||$9,838|
Recreation pass is for the on-campus Physical Education and Instructional Facility rec center and is refundable until the fifth day of the semester. Each new student pays a one-time student athletic fee of $246 for admission to all home varsity events, which covers the entire period of enrollment until graduation.
Families should also consider these additional expenses, which may vary by student:
- Textbooks and supplies
- Transportation and personal expenses
- Parking pass (optional; $140/year)
The estimated cost of attendance calculator is the best way for you to get a feel for how much you can expect to pay. The calculator only considers merit-based scholarships and grants that are automatically awarded to eligible U.S. citizens/permanent residents who will be new to NMU based on your self-reported high school grade point average (RHSGPA) and ACT or SAT score (for new freshmen) or college GPA after high school graduation (for new transfer students).