The Alumni Legacy Scholarship is offered exclusively to students whose parent (or grandparent) is a Northern Michigan University alumnus and reside in the state of Michigan. The NMU Alumni Association will award up to ten $1,000 Legacy Scholarships annually. Students may re-apply.
In order to qualify to apply for this award, students must meet the following qualifications:
• Must be the child (or grandchild) of a Northern Michigan University graduate.
• Must be a Michigan resident attending NMU, having earned at least 60 credits.
• Must be a continuous, full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester for the duration of the award
• Must complete and return the Alumni Legacy Certification form by the specified deadline.
• Must complete a Personal Statement paper that addresses the following:
• Please describe your extracurricular involvement (school, community and/or spiritual organizations) during the past three years;
• For your parent (grandparent) who is an alum, what do they describe to you as their best memory of their NMU experience?
• Why did you choose to attend NMU?
• Any other information you would like to share with the scholarship committee.
- Must be an NMU graduate and dues-paying member of the NMU Alumni Association.
- Must complete an Alumni Legacy Certification form.
Students wishing to apply should visit the NMU scholarship website to access the form and application deadline information.
2015-2016 Alumni Legacy Scholarship recipient Ann Tardiff '16
Ann Tardiff '16
Hometown: Gladstone, MI
Major: Social Work
Ann spent the summer as a youth camp counselor at Camp Batawgama on the shores of Indian Lake here in the Upper Peninsula. According to its website, the camp provides "a safe and wholesome environment surrounded by nature with a sound and moral philosophy of fairness and respect for one another." Ann says that the job taught her a lot about working with children and that social work was the right major for her. She is active in the Student Social Work Organization and plans on pursuing a master's in social work after graduating from NMU.
"I am so honored to be one of the recipients of the Alumni Legacy Scholarship. This scholarship will help me financially as I continue to pursue my goals."