The Alumni Legacy Scholarship is offered exclusively to students whose parent (or grandparent) is a Northern Michigan University alumnus and reside in the state of Michigan. The NMU Alumni Association will award up to ten $1,000 Legacy Scholarships annually. Students may re-apply.
In order to qualify to apply for this award, students must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be the child (or grandchild) of a Northern Michigan University graduate.
- Must be a Michigan resident attending NMU, having earned at least 60 credits.
- Must be a continuous, full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester for the duration of the award
- Must complete and return the Alumni Legacy Certification form by the specified deadline.
- Must complete a Personal Statement paper that addresses the following:
- Please describe your extracurricular involvement (school, community and/or spiritual organizations) during the past three years;
- For your parent (grandparent) who is an alum, what do they describe to you as their best memory of their NMU experience?
- Why did you choose to attend NMU?
- Any other information you would like to share with the scholarship committee.
- Must be an NMU graduate and dues-paying member of the NMU Alumni Association.
- Must complete an Alumni Legacy Certification form.
Students wishing to apply should visit the NMU scholarship website to access the form and application deadline information.