Employment and Internship Opportunities
Writing Tutor Positions
The NMU Writing Center employs undergraduates and graduate tutors, with majors ranging from English to Biology that are excited about expression and communication. Each has gone through an intensive hiring and training process that includes coursework and continuing education and support.
To read more about the role of writing tutors and what exactly we do in the NMU Writing Center, check out a paper written by Michelle, a graduated Writing Center tutor: Michelle’s paper on what tutors do in the Writing Center.
Writing Tutor Job Description
Job Title: Writing Tutor
Reports To: Director of the Writing Center
Pay/Hours: $9.00 per hour/minimum ten hours per week
The Writing Tutor is responsible for working with students who utilize the NMU Writing Center on a one-to-one basis, live and online, on any matter concerning writing.
After one semester of writing center tutoring, the Writing Tutor will also work with several students from one section of either EN 090 or EN 109, meeting with them each once weekly for one hour, and working closely with the instructor of the assigned course.
Duties and Responsibilities
Enrollment in and satisfactory completion of EN 305, Tutoring Writing, a two credit course which will meet on Mondays from 4-5:40pm (students who are hired as classroom tutors will be automatically enrolled in this course)
Helping students to better understand their own writing processes, to develop their strengths and address their weaknesses, and to attend to both higher order and lower order concerns in their writing
Contributing to the welcoming and professional nature of the NMU Writing Center.
Basic paperwork and related duties
Other duties as assigned
Current NMU student: undergraduate or graduate
Satisfactory completion of EN 109 or EN111 and EN211
Minimum GPA: 3.00
Engaged and interested in your writing and the writing of others
Good communication and listening skills
Willingness to help others
Available a minimum of 10 hours per week for each semester employed
Additional Desirable Qualifications
Familiarity with writing center methods
Experience in tutoring/instruction
Familiarity with any discipline-specific academic writing
Familiarity with common academic paper formats (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.)
Writing Tutor Application Instructions
Please prepare an electronic application packet and e-mail it to:
NMU Writing Center Director Heidi Stevenson firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application packet must include separate MS Word files containing the following:
- Letter of Purpose: about two or three double-spaced pages containing the following:
- Your name, phone number, and NMU e-mail address
- A little bit about your academic and professional background
- Your interest in writing
- Your perceived writing strengths and weaknesses
- Any experience in writing centers or other instructional positions
- Your definition of professionalism in a university environment
- How you might contribute to the work we do
- Names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of at least two instructors/professors willing to serve as references for you (no need to ask them for a letter)
- One academic or professional writing sample
Applications will be accepted any time, but only reviewed once every fall and winter semester for hiring in the following semester. Application deadlines are as follows:
- For work beginning in the winter semester: Monday of Week 12 of the preceding fall semester—no later than 5pm.
- For work beginning in the fall semester: Monday of Week 12 of the preceding winter semester—no later than 5pm.
Interviews will be conducted during Final Exam Week of the semester in which the application was submitted.
Please contact the NMU Writing Center Director with any questions:
Dr. Heidi Stevenson
Undergraduate and Graduate Internships
In addition, the NMU Writing Center offers a variety of opportunities for undergraduate and graduate internships. If you are interested in these opportunities, please contact NMU Writing Center Director Heidi Stevenson at email@example.com.