Academic Service Learning
Please click on the following site to identify the ASL teaching methodology within the department and get more information about how ASL courses work and how it benefits you
International Service Learning Opportunity
NE 495/HL 495 Interdisciplinary Study in Global Health Care-Honduras This course is a collaborative project of the nursing and HPER departments. It will provide students from across campus with an opportunity to partake in an elective course that combines diversity and service learning experiences. Students will have an opportunity to learn about the culture of Honduras with a particular focus on the health and health care of the people of Honduras while in that culture.
Students are eligible if they have:
- completed EN 111 and EN 211
- Sophomore status and instructor approval
- completed and submitted an application.
Tentative Schedule for NE 495/HL 495 (3 Credits)
2009 schedule to be announced. Here is a sample of the 2008 schedule:
- May 19, 2008 - Fly out of Marquette and arrive San Pedro Sula
- May 19, 2008 - Drive to Santa Cruz de Yojoa to meet Dr. Milton Mendoza
- May 19-27, 2008 - Work in Santa Cruz de Yojoa
- May 27, 2008 - Drive to Copan
- May 27-29, 2008 - Time in Copan and Drive to San Pedro Sula
- May 29, 2008 - Fly out of San Pedro Sula and arrive back in Marquette
I want to join this class. What do I need to do?
- Complete and submit an application.
- If you do not already have a passport, you will need to apply for one as soon as possible. The Peter White Library provides this service.
- According to the CDC, you will need the following immunizations: Typhoid, Tetanus, Hepatitis A, and Hepatitis B. You will also need malaria prophylaxis. Please see the NMU Health Center Website. You may find the travel advisor link helpful as well as the immunizations available link.
- Pay for the class. You will need to pay for the costs of travel as well as tuition.
- Attend the in-country sessions. We will be in contact with you to schedule these sessions.