General Education Council (GEC)
The General Education Council (GEC) is a standing Senate committee comprised of elected faculty representatives and permanent administrative members. The charge of the GEC is the oversight and management of the General Education Program and includes the following responsibilities:
- Develop and implement an assessment plan of General Education Program learning outcomes.
- Develop and review division outcome goals and criteria for general education and world cultures courses and make recommendations to the Academic Senate.
- Implement the addition and removal of courses from the General Education Program based on established division outcome goals and corresponding assessment data.
- Review and evaluate all courses taught for general education credit on an ongoing basis (3-5 year cycle).
- Report recommendations to the Associate Dean of General Education and Retention.
- Annually, elect a Chair and provide a report to the Academic Senate.
Who serves on the General Education Council?
- Seven AAUP faculty members are elected by a vote of the AAUP faculty and serve staggered three-year terms. Council members may be reelected. Service on the General Education Council begins upon election.
- Two each from the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Health Sciences and Professional Studies.
- One from the College of Business/Academic Information Services.
- Two at-large representatives.
- No more than one faculty council member can be from a single department.
- Three ex-officio voting members also permanently serve on the council: the Registrar, Dean/Director of General Education and University Programs, Director of Institutional Assessment and Accreditation.