Welcome to NMU's Veteran Student Services. We are here to assist you in processing your VA educational benefits.
A Veteran Benefits Checklist can be found here for new, continuing, and transfer veteran students.
New to the Veteran Student Educational Benefits Process?
We recommend that you review the G.I. Bill education program information at http://gibill.va.gov/benefits/index.html.
If you would like to apply for your educational benefits, please stop in our office, 2107 C. B. Hedgcock, to complete the necessary paperwork. You can also reach us by telephone at 906-227-1715 or e-mail email@example.com.
Request Official Joint Services Transcript (JST)
Veterans are able to request military transcripts online. JST currently covers all branches except Air Force.
A veterans resource representative is stationed at Northern Michigan University to help individuals on campus and in the community take advantage of all benefits available to them due to their military service.
Michael W. Rutledge
Room 2101E Hedgcock
Veteran Graduation Data
An analysis of academic performance of first-time, full-time freshmen who are veterans can be found here.
In order to follow NMU veterans after graduation, a survey of graduating veterans has been taken since fall semester, 2015. There is not yet enough data to accurately track post-graduation trends; however, some statistics should be available after fall semester, 2016. You can view the actual NMU Veteran Graduate Survey being used to compile the data.
NMU Named Military Friendly School
Northern Michigan University has been named a 2016 Military Friendly School by Victory Media. This is NMU’s seventh consecutive appearance on the list. The designation honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools nationwide that are “doing the most to embrace military students and dedicate resources to ensure their success in the classroom and after graduation.” Additional information can be found here.
NMU Participates in the Principles of Excellence Program
Educational institutions participating in the Principles of Excellence program agree to the following guidelines:
- Provide students with a personalized form covering the total cost of an education program.
- Provide educational plans for all military and Veteran education beneficiaries.
- End fraudulent and aggressive recruiting techniques and misrepresentations.
- Accommodate Servicemembers and Reservists absent due to service requirements.
- Designate a point of contact to provide academic and financial advice.
- Ensure accreditation of all new programs prior to enrolling students.
- Align institutional refund policies with those under Title IV, which governs the administration of federal student financial aid programs.
NMU has Partnered with the Following Programs:
- DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support)
- CONap (Concurrent Admissions Program)