Welcome to NMU's Veteran Services!
NMU has dedicated trained staff here to assist you in processing your Veterans Administration educational benefits, including a trained Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency Coordinator for Student Veteran Services:
Michael Rutledge and his service dog, Welles, is available at Northern Michigan University to help individuals on campus, and in the community, take advantage of all benefits available to them due to their military service. Welles is available for friendly, as well as therapeutic, petting any time he's in the office, or if you just happen see him around campus.
Michael W. Rutledge Welles
Mike and Welles can be found in:
Room 2101D, Hedgcock
*Note: More information on our dedicated office staff is available on the Veteran Services Staff page.
New to the Veteran Student Educational Benefits Process?
NMU Veterans' Resources is a good site to get you started.
*Note: We also recommend that you review the G.I. Bill education program information at http://gibill.va.gov/benefits/index.html.
Eligibility for benefits is determined solely by the Veterans Administration. The Veteran Student Services Office assists you by certifying enrollment, confirming academic credit load, monitoring satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate and notifying the VA Regional Office of any withdrawals from classes or other changes in status.
For the purpose of VA Educational benefits only, a student is classified as a veteran student when he/she is eligible to receive benefits from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) under one of the following VA education programs:
• Post 9/11 G.I. Bill (Chapter 33)
• Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606)
• Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
• Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
Requesting an Official Joint Transcript:
If you need an Official Joint Services Transcript (JST), then you must place your request for your military transcripts online. JST currently covers all branches except Air Force.
If you would like to apply for your educational benefits, please stop in our office, 2101D Hedgcock, to complete the necessary paperwork. You can also reach us by telephone at 906-227-1715 or e-mail email@example.com.
If you aren't sure if you need one, a Veteran Benefits Checklist is available for new, continuing, and transfer veteran students.
Veteran Graduation Data
An analysis of academic performance of first-time, full-time freshmen who are veterans can be found here.
In order to follow NMU veterans after graduation, a survey of graduating veterans has been taken since fall semester, 2015. There is not yet enough data to accurately track post-graduation trends; however, some statistics should be available after fall semester, 2016. You can view the actual NMU Veteran Graduate Survey being used to compile the data.
NMU Named Military Friendly School
Northern Michigan University has been named a 2018 Military Friendly School by Victory Media. This is NMU’s ninth consecutive appearance on the list. The designation honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools nationwide that are “doing the most to embrace military students and dedicate resources to ensure their success in the classroom and after graduation.” This year NMU placed fourth in the Small Public Schools category. Another reason why NMU attained the military and veteran friendly designation is our affiliation with the Student Veterans of America. The NMU branch has a Facebook site you can access here.
Additional information about our military friendly status can be found here.
NMU Participates in the Principles of Excellence Program
Educational institutions participating in the Principles of Excellence program agree to the following guidelines:
- Provide students with a personalized form covering the total cost of an education program.
- Provide educational plans for all military and Veteran education beneficiaries.
- End fraudulent and aggressive recruiting techniques and misrepresentations.
- Accommodate Servicemembers and Reservists absent due to service requirements.
- Designate a point of contact to provide academic and financial advice.
- Ensure accreditation of all new programs prior to enrolling students.
- Align institutional refund policies with those under Title IV, which governs the administration of federal student financial aid program
NMU has Partnered with the Following Programs:
• DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support)
• CONap (Concurrent Admissions Program)
Additional Resources can be found at the Following: