Leadership and Community
The Seaborg Center provides leadership for mathematics and science education by:
- Participating in the initiatives of the Michigan Mathematics and Science Centers Network
- Serving on the Executive Board of the Michigan Science Olympiad.
- Working with Marquette-Alger RESA to coordinate professional development in Marquette and Alger Counties.
- Coordinating activities through the Upper Peninsula Center for Educational Development and the four other Mathematics and Science Centers in the Upper Peninsula
- Sponsoring the mathematics and science components of the Educators’ Fall Conference
- Brokering educational services through the NASA Educator Resource Center Network
- Promoting participation by faculty members at Northern Michigan University in mathematics and science programs for K-12 students and professional development for teachers
The Seaborg Center offers programs of interest to families
- Presentations by NASA Solar System Ambassador
Local Solar System Ambassador: Scott Stobbelaar offers free programs to Marquette County schools. To arrange a visit, contact Scott Stobbelaar at 906-225-0959
- Programs presented in cooperation with the Laughing Whitefish Audubon Society
- Community Science nights offered by the science departments at Northern Michigan University
- Distance learning opportunities through Northern Michigan University's audio-visual department
The Center cooperates with formal and informal educational agencies to bring science and mathematics programs to the community