Professional nursing is a dynamic and diverse profession with excellent career opportunities for men and women. As contemporary nursing practice has become increasingly complex, challenging the nurse's knowledge, technical competence and interpersonal skills, more employers are requiring a bachelor of science in nursing.
The knowledge and skills acquired from a baccalaureate education prepare nurses to become managers and administrators, officers in the armed forces or school nurses. Some students develop expert clinical skills in specialized areas of practice such as pediatrics, critical care or psychiatric nursing.
Individuals with a BSN degree have marketable skills that are in tremendous demand worldwide. They have the freedom to work wherever they want and in a variety of settings such as hospitals, clinics, home health care agencies, public health agencies, schools, business corporations or the military. As the demand for professional nurses continues to grow, salaries will continue to climb.
Northern's BSN program requires 129 credits. Courses are generally offered in fall and winter semesters with select courses in the summer. An adviser from the School of Nursing will assist you in planning an academic program to complete the required courses.
We are a long-established leader in the education of nurses. Our top-notch faculty have the clinical experience and educational expertise to prepare our students to function as successful professional nurses. Northern's nursing program offers many other benefits: Students enjoy personal attention from faculty because of class size.
- Students have access to excellent resources as well as audio-visual and computer equipment. We have a simulated learning lab which provides realistic laboratory experiences.
- Northern's program is career oriented. Classroom instruction is strengthened by clinical experience in a variety of community and hospital settings.
- Our graduates are highly successful on the NCLEX exam and finish at the top of the state's graduates. Northern provides an exceptional academic program that challenges our students to be the best they can be.
- Integrate theoretical and evidence-based knowledge to plan holistic, patient-centered nursing care that promotes wellness and incorporates the rights, unique abilities, beliefs and values of patients.
- Provide safe, compassionate nursing care to diverse patients throughout the lifespan.
- Implement quality of care through effective leadership, management and interdisciplinary collaboration in health care environments.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with patients, community partners and health care professionals across practice settings.
- Model behavior that adheres to professional standards of practice and ethical codes.
- Plan and participate in professional activities that demonstrate a contribution to the global community, a commitment to service and life-long learning.
Application and Information Packet
- Undergraduate Bulletin
- BSN Information Packet updated May 2015
- BSN Undergraduate Handbook updated May 2015
- BSN application
Post Baccalaureate Pre-requisite checklist
For More Information
BSN Program Coordinator
School of Nursing
Northern Michigan University
Marquette, MI 49855
For More Information