University Marketing and Communications and Audio-Visual Services jointly maintain the campus digital signage systems. The NMU Charter cable channel is solely maintained by Audio-Visual Services.
The support of these systems is in place to help the University communicate messages of general interest to the public. In order to ensure the integrity and consistency of these electronic communication systems, the following guidelines are provided for those wishing to display content on these systems.
General Digital Signage Requirements
- All messages must be informational in nature and related NMU in some way. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Programs sponsored by NMU
- Activities sponsored by NMU
- Announcements about NMU or for NMU students
- General information for the safety and well-being of the campus community
- Content must be appropriate for all ages and may not contain language or visuals that could be considered offensive or harmful to the general public.
- Decisions regarding which campus signs or channels will be used to display individual messages will be made by University Marketing and Communications based on the type of message, the intended audience, and availability.
- Messages regarding emergencies, closures or critical public safety issues may only be submitted and authorized by the Director of Public Safety and Police Services.
- Requests that fall outside of these general messaging guidelines will be reviewed by University Marketing and Communications prior to their placement on any campus electronic sign or cable channel.
Digital Signage Requests for Scheduling and Creation
- A department or organization many only have one (1) LCD and one (1) Optec running at a time.
- Message creation requests must be submitted electronically with finalized text and photos three weeks in advance to University Marketing and Communications at email@example.com. UMC will create the display message and send it to Audio-Visual for scheduling.
- Message scheduling requests with screens already created must be submitted electronically two weeks in advance to University Marketing and Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org. These screens must be 1920 x 1080 pixels and meet all requirements as mentioned above. UMC will approve screens and send them to Audio-Visual for scheduling.
Optec Screen (Outdoor Signage) Specifics
- There will be a maximum of 10 Optec screen’s running at a given time.
- The Forest Roberts Theatre, the Music Department, the DeVos and the School of Art and Design will be automatically be given one Optec space each. However, these will only be used given they have content that meets the requirements as stated.
- Optec screens can be scheduled for a week at a time (Tuesday through the following Monday)
- Optecs involving an event can only be run for the two weeks prior to the event.
- Optec screen’s showcasing evergreen content may be scheduled for 1 month at a time. After the month is over, the Optec will be removed until a new creative is provided.
LCD Screens (Indoor Signage) Specifics
- There will be a maximum of 15 LCD screens running at any given time.
- Public Safety, the Emergency Alert system and Lake Superior Safety will always have one slide each.
- LCD’s can be scheduled for a week at a time (Tuesday through the following Monday)
- LCD’s involving an event can only be run for for the two weeks prior to the event.
- Evergreen content may be scheduled for 1 month at a time. After the month is over, the LCD will be removed until a new creative is provided.
This page was last updated on Dec. 20, 2017