Graduate Assistant Positions
Now Accepting Applications for the Fall 2015 Semester.
The College of Business is currently accepting applications for graduate assistant positions. Up to two positions are available for students pursuing their MBA at Northern. Apply now!
TITLE: Graduate Assistant – College of Business
COMPENSATION: Bi-weekly stipend during Fall and Winter semesters plus 8 credits of tuition per semester.
WORK SCHEDULE: 20 hours per week through the academic year.
Appointment Begin Date:
- Fall Semester: Begins the Wednesday prior to the first day of classes.
- Winter Semester: Begins the first day of classes.
Appointment End Date:
- Fall Semester: Ends the Tuesday after December graduation.
- Winter Semester: Ends the Tuesday after May graduation.
Graduate Assistants are not permitted to work on campus outside of this appointment.
1. Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree with outstanding academic record.
2. Discipline/Degree Area: Admittance into the MBA Program with an above average GMAT score.
3. Must maintain enrollment in a minimum of 6.0 graduate credits per semester during employment period, and maintain an
overall GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
4. Experience with leadership programs and activities.
5. Above average communication skills – quality writing, verbal, and listening skills.
6. Maintain a professional manner on and off campus.
7. Ability to uphold strict confidentiality guidelines.
ADDITIONAL DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
1. Experience as a member of an undergraduate student organization.
2. Experience organizing major projects and events.
3. Willingness to lead, offer opinions and direction.
4. Experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access).
5. Self-starter, willing to work independently.
6. Fluent in languages other than English.
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The Graduate Student Assistant will be assigned responsibility in project areas listed below.
1. Assist in promotional efforts and growth of the MBA program through recruitment and retention efforts.
2. Assist and coordinate College of Business functions and programs for alumni, faculty, staff and students.
3. Assist in creating and updating the College of Business social and print media.
4. Conduct and assist faculty with research, proctoring Educational Testing Service (ETS) exams, etc.
5. Maintain spreadsheets and databases.
6. Other duties as assigned.
From the Assistant Dean of the College of Business.
There are other graduate assistant positions available on campus. Previous MBA students have also served as GAs with the Center of Student Enrichment and Forest Roberts Theater, but there are many other GA opportunities on campus. Check the College of Graduate Studies page for available graduate assistant positions in other departments.
The application for graduate assistant positions can be found here.
Submit application, resume, cover letter and three letters of recommendation to be considered for an assistantship position.
Send the application materials to:
Jody Lindberg, Assistant Dean
College of Business
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, Michigan 49855
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
NMU College of Business