**NOTE: The deadline for fall 2021 freshman direct admission applications was November 1, 2020. Additional applications for fall 2021 admission will not be accepted.
Notification of fall 2021 direct admissions decisions were sent via email on December 1, 2020. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
See the BSN Information Packet for how to apply to the BSN Program using the general application process.
Applications for the fall 2022 semester freshman direct admission program will be accepted from June 1 - November 1, 2021 and decision letters/emails will be sent on December 1, 2021.
High achieving high school seniors who are interested in nursing can be guaranteed a spot in NMU’s nursing program through the Freshman Direct Admission Nursing program. Ten spots will be available each Fall. Applications are due by November 1 for the following year's fall semester.
Admission to the Direct Admission Baccalaureate Nursing Sequence
High school student (senior status) criteria needed to apply:
- Admission acceptance to Northern Michigan University.
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.5
- Documentation of complete Certified Nurses Aid course and/or completion of one year of Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA).
- Documentation of dual enrollment classes or Advanced Placement courses (only if not provided on application or high school transcript submitted for NMU admission).
- Students enrolled in high schools which do not offer dual enrollment, Advanced Placement or HOSA courses can submit a letter written by their high principal or school counselor indicating that their high school did not offer these options. For those, their score on the rubric will be proportionate to the points available to them.
- One year of high school level biology, chemistry, and mathematics or college credits if dual enrolled in high school and an institution of higher learning. Must have achieved a “B” or higher grade in each course.
- One reference letter from a high school science or math teacher.
- Completed direct admission application by November 1st
Criteria to maintain Freshman BSN status:
- Final high school transcript grade showing a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Placement into Chem 109.
- Maintain a GPA average of 3.5.
- Complete all prerequisites outlined in the BSN application within five semesters.
- Letter of intent - Due October 1 or February 1, one semester prior to when students plan/met requirements to begin nursing program. This serves as a way to let the School of Nursing know when student completed or close to completing prerequisites and intends to start the nursing program in the following semester.
- Students must meet all requirements in the BSN handbook prior to starting BSN program such as criminal background check and TB testing.
Students who fail to maintain Freshman BSN status will no longer be guaranteed a spot upon completion of required prerequisites. They may still apply as a traditional student via the traditional route with applications due October 1 and February 1.
**NOTE: The deadline for fall 2021 freshman direct admission applications was November 1, 2020. Applications for fall 2021 will not be accepted.
Students who meet the application criteria should submit their application materials for direct admission prior to November 1 for the following year's fall semester.
Apply for fall 2022 freshman direct admission between June 1 - November 1, 2021.