Placement Criteria and Appeal Process

All incoming students will be “evaluated” for English placement for the following:

  • Composition placement in EN 111 or EN 090
  • Support course recommendations for EN 103.

EN 111 College Composition
New students who have a 2.0 HS GPA or higher  OR transfer students WITH a 2.0 may enroll in EN 111.

  • These students will be able to sign up for EN 111 on their own when they register.

EN 090 Basic Composition
Students who have less than a 2.0 OR are missing HS GPA data will not be able to enroll in EN 111 and will be REQUIRED to take EN 090.

  • Students will be allowed to appeal this decision (see below).