Frequently Asked Questions For Faculty

question mark road sign


How do I use the Advisee List and the Expanded Student Profile (ESP)?

The link below will take you to the user's guide for the Advisee List and Expanded Student Profile (ESP).

  1. ESP User's Guide 

How do I find who my advisees are and how to contact them?

Go to and click on Faculty Services. From there, click on Advisee Information and you will be able to access a list of your advisees and some basic information (e.g., major, address, phone number, class schedule, transcripts).

How do I help an advisee who is in academic difficulty?

The first question, of course, is “Have you talked with your professors?”  Tutoring is available, free of charge, to all students through several tutoring centers. Check out the Tips and Tools for suggestions, strategies and workshops provided. It is also helpful to have a discussion regarding what might be going on in their life that is getting in the way of their academic success and then refer them to support services (e.g., Counseling Center, Academic and Career Advisement Center, residence hall staff), as appropriate.

What should I be covering during an advising meeting?

Most of the time you should be discussing how the student is doing academically, how they are fitting in at NMU, academic requirements and any questions they might have. You may want to refer to the faculty advising checklist to see specific suggested items to cover during an advising meeting.

What records should I keep about the student and the advising meeting?

It’s important to keep a log of what you have discussed with each student. Often students will come back to you to follow up on something the two of you discussed months ago and filethey expect that you remember the last conversation as well as they do. In addition, there have been times when a student uses the adviser as an excuse for a mistake or oversight on their part. Keeping notes can help a great deal in those situations.

How do I make a substitution for a required course for a student?

Faculty advisers may substitute a required course in the student’s major or minor with another departmental course under certain circumstances. Substitutions need to be approved by the department head and filed with the Registrar’s Office. You can do so by filling out the course substitution form.

Who can talk to my advisee about other majors, program or services?

The staff in the Academic and Career Advisement Center can help students who are unsure about their major or have decided to change majors. They can also help students with general questions related to academic programs and career exploration.

What if my advisee is experiencing financial difficulties?

You may want to start by asking them if they have applied for financial aid.  It is sometimes helpful to call the Financial Aid Office to find out if the student is eligible for more aid or loans.  If the student is interested in employment, connect them with the Career Services. A number of their openings are listed on the Web, but the office staff can be particularly helpful if a student doesn’t know where to begin.

Can I help a student find out who his/her adviser is?

To find out the name of a student's adviser, instruct the student to follow these steps:

  1. Go to My NMU
  2. Click on Student Services Tab
  3. Click Academic Services
  4. Under: Student Records: View Student Information

What if a student doesn't know his/her NMU IN number?

Click below for description of how to find NMU IN:

How do students add and/or drop classes?

Students can add and/or drop classes on MyNMU up until the Thursday of the first week of classes. After that, they can still make adjustments to their schedule with a professor's approval and can withdraw from classes all the way until the end of the 10th week of the semester. Go to Registration and Scheduling to see more detailed information regarding deadlines, refunds and procedures. The Registrar's Office provides a full listing of dates, deadlines and procedures for adding and dropping classes.

Can students double count a course they take for liberal studies and for meeting requirements in their major or minor, too?

If the student is under the any bulletin 2000 to the present, he/she may count any course taken for liberal studies towards his/her major or minor (double counting). If the student is under any bulletin prior to fall 2000, he/she cannot count courses in both liberal studies and his/her major or minor.

How does a student declare/change a major?

Students can declare or change most majors quickly and easily online by completing the change of program form.

If students want to declare any of the following, they must do so in person at the department office:

  • Education – 179 Whitman
  • Psychology – 346 Gries
  • Cosmetology – Admissions

How does a student get a degree audit?

A student pursuing a bachelor’s degree will have a degree audit sent to them the semester after they have earned 87 or more credits. If a student has questions about degree audits, he/she can e-mail the degree audit staff at or visit the degree audit Web page. The Academic and Career Advisement Center will review academic requirements and help you create an informal degree audit at any time. To make an appointment, call 906-227-2971.