International Students Insurance Requirements
NMU Insurance Policy (2016-17)
NMU Insurance Brochure (2016-17)
Insurance Enrollment Form (2017-18)
Insurance Waiver Form (2017-18)
Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits [22 CFR 62.14].
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
Sponsors are to require that their participants (and any dependents entering the United States as holders of a J-2 visa) have insurance in effect during the period of time they are in the sponsor's program. An insurance policy secured to meet the benefits requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant's policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country. For other options, see [22 CFR 62.14].
Program regulations also discuss coverage through HMOs and self-insurance of the above requirements by federal, state or local government agencies, state colleges and universities, and public community colleges, if permitted by law. Refer to [22 CFR 62.14] for additional information.
- Cover care for inpatient and outpatient medical and mental health.
- Have a United States billing address, claims phone number and contact person
- Remain in force for the 2017-18 academic year (NOTE: Your insurance company may be contacted to confirm coverage)
You are required to show the International Education Services Office proof of insurance upon arrival that meets the above requirements for your period of time in the United States.
NMU Enrollment Process:
If you are sure that you are going home after the winter semester then you can elect to have insurance for only the fall and winter semesters but if you will be traveling in the US during the summer or staying at NMU for classes or work then you will need insurance for the entire year.
- Academic Year coverage (8-15-2017 to 5-14-2018) $1,616.85
- Fall only coverage (8-15-2017 to 1-14-2017) $898.25
- Winter only coverage (12-15-2017 to 5-14-2018) $898.25
- Summer only coverage (5-15-2018 to 8-14-2018) $538.95
- Full Year Coverage (8-14-2017 to 8-15-2018) $2,155.80
ATTN NCAA ATHLETES:
1. Your athletic scholarship will only cover your NMU Health Insurance for the fall/winter semesters. (The amount of your insurance that is covered depends on your scholarships percentage).
2. If you decided to appeal the NMU insurance your athletic scholarship will be adjusted as the cost of insurance is included in your athletic scholarship. If you want to know how it will affect your scholarship, please contact the Athletic Department and/or Financial Aid Office.
How to waive out of the NMU health Insurance policy:
You must provide a copy of your own health insurance plan and fill out the Insurance Waiver Form and provide it to the International Education Services Office. Your policy will be reviewed and a decision will be emailed to you. Your plan must meet the following requirements:
1. Does your plan cover care for inpatient and outpatient medical and mental health?
2. Does your plan provide coverage medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident and illness?
3. Does your plan include a minimum of $25,000 for repatriation of remains and $50,000 for medical evaluation
4. Is your plan deductible per accident or illness less than or equal to $500 accident or $1000 per policy year?
5. Will your plan remain in force during the entire 2017-18 academic year? (Note: your insurance company may be contacted on a periodic basis to confirm your continuous coverage)
8. Provide your insurance company name, address, city, state, zip, claims phone number, policy number, policy effective date, policy end date.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the International Education Services office at email@example.com.