Graduate Admission Applications
Graduate Degree Seeking
To be considered for admission to one of our graduate level programs, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the Application for Admission.
- Request official transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities. Northern Michigan University transcripts and transcripts already on file at NMU are not required. We can accept official electronic or regular mail transcripts.
- Test scores - All test scores (if required) must come directly from the testing company via their normal delivery method.
- Additional documents - If your program requires additional supporting documents (resume, recommendation letters, essays, etc.) for admission, they may be mailed, e-mailed or delivered in person.
- Submit the $50 application fee - Students may pay online, mail a check or money order or can pay by credit card over the phone. Applicants should pay the non-refundable application processing fee unless they: 1) qualify for the senior citizen tuition waiver (age 62 or older); 2) have already attended NMU at the same degree level for which they are applying (ie., students pay once before the receipt of a baccalaureate degree and once after, if continuing. NOTE: students that have paid a $35/30 post-baccalaureate fee are required to pay $15/20 to reach the graduate level application fee); or 3) were a McNair Scholar at their undergraduate institution. A waiver of the fee may be available to any applicant whose financial circumstances warrant it. To apply for a fee waiver, please provide a letter of request and reason. McNair Scholars must send a letter from their undergraduate institution verifying their McNair status.
Please direct all documents and correspondence to:
Office of Graduate Education and Research
401 Cohodas Hall
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855
Non-degree or Professional Development
The Application for Non-degree or Professional Development is for those students who wish to enroll in courses that do not result in the attainment of an advanced degree. Non-degree admission is granted to students who are not pursuing a master’s degree, but have an interest in work beyond their baccalaureate degree. Professional development admission is granted to provide opportunities for certified K-12 educators. NOTE: Non-degree programs are typically NOT eligible for financial aid.
Application Fee - No application fee is required.
Transcripts - Not required except for endorsement programs.
Information about NMU's tuition and fees is available on the tuition and fees page. Please note that graduate tuition and fees are detailed in the middle of the page.