See Admissions Procedures or International Student Information for detailed application instructions. Check the required documents for your program.
Check the Academic Calendar for important semester dates.
Graduate Degree Seeking
To be considered for admission to one of our graduate level programs, please complete the following steps.
Please read all steps before beginning your application.
- Complete the Application for Admission. Please save your username and password for future use.
- Request official transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities. Northern Michigan University transcripts and transcripts already on file at NMU are not required. NOTE: If you have not earned your bachelor's degree and are currently enrolled, do not request your transcript until you are in your final semester and your previous semester's grades have posted. We can accept official electronic or regular mail transcripts.
- Test scores - All test scores (if required) must come directly from the testing company via their normal delivery method.
- Additional documents - If your program requires supporting documents for admission you will have the opportunity to upload files at the end of the application.
Uploaded documents must: 1) be in .pdf format, 2) be less than 5 MB in size, 3) have file names less than 30 characters long, and 4) not have spaces in the file name.
Once you submit your application, all documents must be mailed, e-mailed or delivered in person.
NOTE: It is preferable that all recommendation letters come directly from the recommender via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail. Some programs will not accept recommendation letters from the student.
- Submit the $50 application fee - Students may pay online, mail a check or money order or can pay by credit card over the phone. Applicants should pay the non-refundable application processing fee unless they: 1) qualify for the senior citizen tuition waiver (age 62 or older); 2) have already attended NMU at the same degree level for which they are applying (ie., students pay once before the receipt of a baccalaureate degree and once after, if continuing. NOTE: students that have paid a $35/30 post-baccalaureate fee are required to pay $15/20 to reach the graduate level application fee); 3) were a McNair Scholar at their undergraduate institution. McNair Scholars must have a letter sent from their undergraduate institution verifying their McNair status or have the McNair Scholars Fee Waiver Form completed and sent to us; or 4) require a financial hardship waiver of the fee. To apply for a fee waiver, please provide an e-mail or letter of request with brief reason.
Please direct all documents and correspondence to:
Office of Graduate Education and Research
401 Cohodas Hall
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855
Fax: (906) 227-2315
Non-degree or Professional Development
The application for Non-degree or Professional Development is for those students who wish to enroll in courses that do not result in the attainment of an advanced degree. Non-degree admission is granted to students who are not pursuing a master’s degree, but have an interest in work beyond their baccalaureate degree. Professional development admission is granted to provide opportunities for certified K-12 educators. NOTE: Non-degree programs are typically NOT eligible for financial aid.
Complete the Application for Admission. Please save your username and password for future use.
Application Fee - No application fee is required.
Transcripts - Not required except for endorsement programs.
Tuition and Academic Calendar
Information about NMU's tuition and fees is available on the tuition and fees page. Please note that graduate tuition and fees are detailed in the middle of the page.
For important semester dates, see the NMU Academic Calendar and Deadlines.