Financial Aid - Application Procedures

Degree-seeking graduate students are eligible for unsubsidized loans through the Direct Loan program. Students seeking assistance through this loan program must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and designate Northern Michigan University as a recipient. Our federal school code for the FAFSA is 002301.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be submitted using either of the following two alternatives:

  • Internet - for faster, more accurate results. To have your FAFSA processed on the web, go to For best results, use a Department of Education Federal Student Aid ID (FSAID) to electronically sign the FAFSA. Students and parents can register for the FSAID at
  • Mail - a paper version can be requested by calling 1-800-433-3243 or a PDF of the FAFSA can be printed from

The priority date for maximum financial aid consideration is March 1. However, students may apply anytime throughout the academic year.

Federal financial aid programs may include Federal Perkins Loan, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, or part-time employment through the Federal Work Study program.

Other options for financial assistance are listed on this page.


An overage results when your financial aid is more than your charges for the semester. All financial aid documentation must be provided and your financial aid award must be completely processed before any overage will be issued. You will be notified via e-mail when your overage is available. NMU begins issuing overages the Friday before the first day of the semester. There are two options to receive your overage: direct deposit or by picking up a check at the NMU Student Service Center, located in the C.B. Hedgcock building.