The Beaumier U.P. Heritage Center is celebrating the end of the year with a traditional Yuletide Celebration on Thursday, December 19 from 6 to 8p.m. The event will be at the Beaumier Center located in 105 Cohodas Hall at 1401 Presque Isle Ave. in Marquette. Admission to the event is free to the public (donations are encouraged).
The end of the calendar year, sometimes referred to as the Winter Solstice, has been a time of celebration and reflection for people around the world for centuries. From the time of the Druids, through the celebration of Hanukkah, to the designation of December 25th as the birthdate of Christ, the "darkest time of the year," has been a period in which many cultures celebrate their most sacred holidays and feasts.
The Yuletide Celebration at the Beaumier Center will feature activities that reflect many different cultural traditions for the holiday season and also a lecture discussing the roots of many of these events. It will be a non-denominational event focusing particularly on the ethnic and religious traditions found in the U.P. and beyond during the end of the calendar year. Yule tide ("time") is an ancient Germanic celebration that existed before the spread of Christianity. Many of the ancient traditions of the season were later absorbed into the Christmas celebrations, including the use of decorated trees and the singing of seasonal songs known as "wassailing."
Activities that will take place include:
- Traditional seasonal dances from Europe led by Marge Sklar
- Samples of traditional ethnic holiday sweets representing the Upper Peninsula's cultural groups.
- Craft area for making holiday tree ornaments and gingerbread men.
- Presentation, "The Darkest Night of the Year" by Daniel Truckey, Director, Beaumier U.P. Heritage Center
- Gallery tours of the Beaumier Center's new exhibition, "U.P. Mosaic: a working landscape and its people."
For more information, please contact the Beaumier Center at 906-227-3212 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Most Popular Events
- Thursday, May 05, 2016
- NMU Retirees Association Spring Social 10:00 am
- Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- A Scandinavian Dinner 6:00 pm
- Saturday, August 27, 2016
- Moose on the Loose Family Fun Run and 5K 9:30 am
- Saturday, May 07, 2016
- River Valley Hope Starts Here Challenge 7:00 am
- Sunday, May 08, 2016
- Upper Peninsula Youth Orchestra 3:00 pm