Bachelor’s Degree Requirements
To qualify for a bachelor’s degree, students must fulfill the following requirements:
In lieu of the culture course, College of Business students may meet the requirement by completion of the language at the 202 level and an approved directed study for a summer or semester in a country of the language. This must be submitted in writing by the student’s adviser to the Registrar’s Office prior to inception of the directed study.
Complete a minimum of 32 semester hours of credit in residence at Northern Michigan University, excluding advanced placement credit. Transfer students must earn a minimum of eight credits in each major and four credits in each minor.
- Students must be enrolled at Northern Michigan University for their last 8 credit hours preceding the awarding of their degree, or
- Students must complete 20 of their last 30 credits at NMU. To qualify for this option students must:
- have a minimum NMU cumulative GPA of 2.00;
- meet the minimum GPAs as established by their major and minor departments;
- obtain written approval from their department head as well as the Registrar’s Office;
- have all courses approved prior to enrollment at another institution; and
- have processed a Guest Student Application form through the Registrar’s Office;
- enroll in no more than 10 credits at guest institution.
9. Receive only one degree per commencement.
Associate Degree Requirements
To qualify for an associate degree, students must fulfill the following requirements:
Associate of Arts and Associate of Science
In addition, the associate of arts and associate of science degrees require 32 semester hours in the following disciplines;
- Foundations of communication: 8 semester hours.*
- Foundations of humanities: 8 semester hours. (Students may take any course from Divisions II and VI.)
- Foundations of natural sciences/mathematics: 8 semester hours. One course must be a laboratory science. (Students may take any course from Division III and any MA, CIS, CS and IS course from Division V.)
- Foundations of social sciences: 8 semester hours. (Students may take any course from Division IV.)
*Transfer students may meet this requirement with 6 semester hours as long as the total number of liberal studies credits is 32.
Associate of Applied Arts and Associate of Applied Science
In addition, the associate of applied arts and associate of applied science degrees require a minimum of 12 semester hours in the following disciplines:
- Foundations of communication: minimum of 4 semester hours.
- Other liberal studies: minimum of 8 semester hours.
Associate of Business and Associate of Technology
In addition, the associate of business and associate of technology degrees require 8 semester hours in the following disciplines:
- Foundations of communication: 4 semester hours.
- Other liberal studies: 4 semester hours.
To qualify for a certificate, students must fulfill the following requirements:
Vocational Diploma Requirements
To qualify for a vocational diploma, students must fulfill the following requirements:
Additional Degrees and Certificates
Students who have earned a baccalaureate or associate degree or a certificate at Northern Michigan University or elsewhere may earn additional degrees or certificates in academic areas or programs other than any previously earned degrees or certificates. Students must meet all current requirements relating to their new degree or certificate. Students who hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and who seek a second bachelor's degree will be considered to have met the University-wide Liberal Studies Program and Graduation Requirements, but must satisfy all school/college, department and program requirements.
Students with an earned baccalaureate degree who are seeking additional degrees must apply in the Admissions Office. Students may not enroll in any courses at the 500 level or above.
To qualify for a second baccalaureate degree, the student must complete a minimum of 32 credit hours at NMU beyond the first baccalaureate degree.
To qualify for an associate degree, the student must complete a minimum of 16 credit hours at NMU beyond the first baccalaureate or associate degree.
To qualify for a certificate, the student must complete a minimum of 16 semester credit hours at NMU beyond the first baccalaureate or associate degree or certificate program.