Academic Standards - Transfer Credit / Students Policies

Transfers from Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities

Students who have attended regionally accredited community colleges may transfer up to 64 semester hours of credit, plus four semester hours of health promotion credits. There is no limit on the number of credits transferred from regionally accredited baccalaureate-granting colleges and universities. For admission purposes, NMU calculates the grade point average of transfer students on college-level courses only, using credits attempted and honor points earned. All acceptable courses completed with a grade of C- or better are entered on the ­ student’s permanent record and may be applied toward graduation requirements. A transfer GPA is calculated and is used for assessment (progress toward degree) only. An NMU department may require a specific grade for a particular course or a specific grade point average for a group of courses. These requirements supercede university requirements for transfer grades.

If a transfer course is equivalent to a Northern Michigan University course, a direct course equivalency will be granted even if the number of credits is different. If a transfer course has no direct equivalent, but could be taught by an NMU department, the course will be assigned departmental credit. The course may, at the department’s discretion, be used as a program elective. Transfer courses must be at least one half of the credit hours of their equivalent NMU course. If a course has no equivalent and no home department can be established, the course will be assigned general elective credit. The course can be used to meet the free or general electives available for most degrees. An attempt is made to designate courses with no NMU equivalents that can be used to meet the liberal studies program requirements.

Students who have taken CLEP, APP-CEEB, or International Baccalaureate exams should submit their scores. See the “Advance Placement Policy” in this section of the bulletin for additional information.

No transfer credit is granted for remedial courses or for courses from religious-affiliated colleges or universities that are doctrinal in nature. Transfer credit is not granted for departmental advance placement unless a grade is awarded and the course is included in semester earned hours.

If a student believes that his or her transfer credit evaluation does not accurately reflect the course work he or she has completed, a syllabus for the courses in question should be provided to the Registrar's Office for review.

Transfers from Non-Regionally Accredited Colleges

A student who has credit from a college or university not accredited by a regional accrediting body may, under certain circumstances, receive credit for all or a portion of his or her work. Departmental advance placement credit may be a possibility.

Transfers from International Institutions

All international students, with the exception of those educated in Canada, must submit their credentials to Educational Credential Evaluations. The university follows the recommendation of this agency. NMU grants advance placement credit for EN 111 and EN 211 College Composition for Canadian OAC composition courses completed before September 1990 if the passing score was 60 percent. NMU may request an evaluation of credentials of Canadian students from an outside agency (ECE) on an individual basis.

Transfers from Military Service Schools

Northern Michigan University generally follows the guidelines of the American Council of Education in evaluating military credit. NMU does not grant HP activity credit for basic (recruit) training or for credit at the upper division level. Credits for military schools and courses from the Community College of the Air Force are assigned general elective credit. They can be used as general electives, but may meet major or minor requirements upon the recommendation of a departmental adviser.

Students who have completed basic training and have a recommendation on their military transcripts for physical well being, physical ­ fitness or other descriptions of material covered in NMU’s HP 200 Physical Well Being will receive transfer credit for that course.

Transfers Under the MACRAO Agreement

Students who transfer from a Michigan community college who have the MACRAO stamp on their transcript will have completed the foundations of communication requirement. The remainder of their credits will be reviewed for completion of the requirements of the other five divisions of the liberal studies program. Many majors require courses that meet part of the liberal studies requirements. These courses are required for the degree, and they must be taken even if a student has sufficient hours to complete a particular liberal studies category. NMU applies courses transferred under the MACRAO Agreement in accordance with guidelines established by its faculty. In some cases, courses used by the community college to meet the MACRAO Agreement may not be accepted by NMU. An example would be mathematics courses below the level of college algebra (MA 103, MA 104, MA 105).

The MACRAO Agreement is designed for freshman and sophomore requirements. It does not cover upper division requirements or graduation requirements not a part of the liberal studies requirements, although with careful selection of courses students may complete these requirements at the community college. NMU does not recognize the MACRAO Agreement if a student has attended a community college outside the state of Michigan, has attended a baccalaureate institution before or while attending a community college, or was originally matriculated at NMU and subsequently took courses at a community college. An exception to this policy is granted to transfer students from Bay De Noc Community College and Gogebic Community College who were dually enrolled at their community college and at NMU in approved consortium degree programs.

In the event that a student cannot transfer individual course(s) included in the MACRAO Agreement because of insufficient grades, the student must complete a course at NMU that meets the specific divisional requirement. See the “Liberal Studies Program and Graduation Requirements” section of this bulletin. When individual courses are disallowed, all other aspects of the MACRAO Agreement will be honored.

Transfer Student Graduation Requirements

Transfer students must earn a minimum of eight credits in each major and a minimum of four credits in each minor. They need a minimum NMU cumulative GPA of 2.00 to be eligible for a degree. Additionally they must meet the minimum degree credit requirements and GPA established by their academic departments.

Students seeking a bachelor’s degree must earn 32 credits at Northern Michigan University. Associate degree, certificate and vocational diploma candidates must earn 16 credits at NMU.

Guest Student Applications and Transfer Credit Policies for NMU Students

NMU students who take classes at other institutions as guests must complete a guest student application, available in the Registrar's Office. For Michigan colleges and universities, this application is the only one necessary and the student does not need to submit a transcript to the guest college. Out-of-state colleges may have additional requirements. The Registrar’s Office assists students in completing the application and will review courses to ensure that they are transferable.

Note: Students who attend other institutions without completing a Guest Student Application assume the responsibility for course transfer. All students must request an official transcript of their courses from guest colleges and universities to be sent to the Registrar’s Office at NMU.