Signing up to be on a Waitlist for Closed Courses
Some courses give you the option of signing up to be on an electronic waitlist if it is full. The waitlist allows you to “get in line” for seats as they open up. In addition, departments will be monitoring waitlists and may open additional sections if there is significant interest, so you are encouraged to sign up to be on the waitlist even if there are quite a few others already on the waitlist.
Courses in the following areas have the waitlist option available:
- Astronomy (AS)
- Biology (BI)
- Chemistry (CH)
- Criminal Justice (CJ)
- English (EN)
- Loss Prevention Management (LPM)
- Physics (PH)
- Psychology (PY)
How the Waitlist Works:
- If you are searching for courses and see that one is full, look to see if there is a column titled “WL Cap.” If so, write down the CRN for that course and enter it on the course registration page.
- If you attempt to enroll in a closed class by adding the CRN, you will receive a message that the course is full, but a waitlist is available.
- You will be given the option to be added to the waitlist for the closed course. Select this option.
- When a seat becomes available in the class, the first student on the waitlist is notified via NMU e-mail. That student has 24 hours to add the class via My.NMU. If the student decides not to register or time expires, the next student on the waitlist is notified.
- For linked courses, such as lectures with required labs, you may put yourself on the waitlist for one required part of this course (e.g., lab). Once a seat opens up, you will need to register for both the lecture and the lab.
- Is on a first come-first served basis.
- Is available for one month during Winter registration – from the first day of registration until Monday, November 30.
- Does not guarantee a seat in the class or indicate you are registered for the class.
- Does NOT automatically enroll you in the course.
- Holds a spot in the queue should a seat become available.
- Provides registration error checking (pre-req’s, time conflicts, etc.) before adding anyone to the waitlist.
- Does not allow you to waitlist a course if you are already registered or waitlisted in another section of that course.
- Sends automatic e-mail notification when a seat opens
- Has a 24 hour expiration after email notification.
If you are no longer interested in registering for a section for which you have waitlisted, drop yourself from the waitlist right away through My.NMU.