Frequently Asked Questions Transcripts

Do the courses that I'm currently taking appear on my transcript?
Yes, current courses and courses registered for next semester appear on both your unofficial and official transcript. The courses are marked IN PROGRESS.

If you are transferring, you should withdraw from all pre-registered courses before you request a transcript. If you don't, you'll have to order another transcript for your new school once those courses are dropped.


How long does it take NMU to process my transcript request?
NMU makes a reasonable effort to provide transcripts quickly. Each student's transcript request is equally important and transcript requests are processed in the order received. All transcript requests received in person or by mail are normally processed in two to three business days, not including the date received. If transcript request volume is heavy or if we experience technical issues, it may take a day or two longer to process. Conversely, if transcript volume is light, transcripts may be mailed the following business day. All transcript requests are processed in the order in which they are received and on a first-come, first-served basis.


One day service transcripts must be received prior to 11 a.m. EST in order to go out in the same business day's mail. All other one day service transcripts will be processed the next business day. During the summer, one day service transcripts will only be processed Monday - Thursday. Any one day requests received Friday - Sunday will be processed Monday morning.


Spring/Summer Hours: NMU is open for business Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The university is closed on Saturday and Sunday.


School Year Business Hours:  NMU is open for business Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The university is closed on Saturday and Sunday.


How can I confirm that my transcripts were sent?
Use the online service and you will receive e-mail notifications on the status of the request and when it is sent. Please allow adequate time for the mail to deliver your transcript to it's destination. It's always smart to follow up with the receiving institution to make sure that your transcript is properly routed once received. If it has not been received, and it has been at least two weeks, you can call the Registrar's Office at 906-227-2278 to confirm that your transcript has been sent or if it was returned by the post office. The National Student Clearinghouse web site also has a "transcript ordering/tracking" link.


What is the difference between an unofficial (student) transcript and an official transcript?
An official transcript is a chronological listing of your academic record completed at Northern Michigan University. Official transcripts are on official paper, include the university seal and are certified by the registrar. Official transcripts come in an envelope with the registrar's signature across the envelope's seal. Official transcripts are used for transferring to other institutions, professional certification and for employment purposes.

An unofficial (student) transcript is an uncertified and unsealed copy of your academic record on white paper primarily for your own personal use. NMU will onlu issue unofficial transcripts to the student.


How do I order an NMU transcript?
See the Web page: How to request transcripts


Can I access my transcripts on the Web?
Currently enrolled students can access their unofficial transcripts at no charge on Students will need their (e-mail) user ID and password to access their transcripts.


How do I change my name on my NMU transcript?
All name changes require official documentation. A photocopy of one of the following is required: marriage license or court order and an updated drivers license.NMU requires all name changes to be registered with the Social Security Administration prior to changing your name. This means any name change must be identical to the name which appears on your Social Security card. The processing of financial aid is tied into a national financial aid database that uses the Social Security number and the name on the social security card as provided by the Social Security Administration. If the name does not match, financial aid processing is rejected. Please allow one week for the processing of the name change on your transcript.


Can I order that my transcript request be held for semester grades or until my degree is posted?
On the official transcript request form, you may check one of the following:

  • Mail transcript immediately
  • After current semester grades
  • After degree is posted

If the after current semester grades are posted is marked, your transcript will be held until the semester grades are posted to your Northern Michigan University transcript. Transcripts are usually mailed the following Friday after the semester ends.

If the after degree is posted is marked, your transcript will not be sent until your degree is posted to your transcript. Degree posting generally takes about four to six weeks after the semester ends. But, students who submit a transcript request prior to the end of the semester and check the HOLD FOR DEGREE box will usually have their degree posted much sooner.

If you have an account balance with the university, we will not be able to process your request until payment in full is made.

If you are expecting a change of grade or the completion of an incomplete grade, you may make a notation on your transcript request so that your transcript will not be sent until the specified change has been posted to your transcript.


Can I request an official transcript before the end of the current semester and have those grades appear on the transcript?
On the official transcript request form, you may check the after current semester grades are posted. If you do not mark the "after current semester grades are posted" on your transcript request, your transcript will be mailed immediately and you will then need to request another transcript after your grades are posted.


Does my NMU official transcript list courses I transferred from other colleges or universities?
Official transcripts list the transfer school and the credit hour statistics for the courses that transferred to NMU. All transcripts from Fall 2004 and beyond do not include a transfer credit GPA for students. You will need an official transcript from your previous school[s] to officially document those courses.


How can I obtain copies of my transcripts from my high school or other institutions?
You will need to contact your high school and/or college and order transcripts from the issuing institutions. NMU cannot issue transcripts from other institutions.


Can my friend or relative order or pickup my transcripts?
No, transcripts cannot be requested by your friends or relatives. The Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits Northern Michigan University from releasing your transcript to anyone without your explicit written consent. However, If a designated individual provides NMU with a transcript request form signed by you and a photo copy of your drivers license, NMU will accept the transcript request. The designated individual will also need to present picture identification when ordering the transcript and/or when picking up the transcript.


What if I have an account balance?  May I still obtain a transcript?
You may only obtain an unofficial transcript. All financial obligations to the university must be cleared before an official transcript will be issued.  For information about your student account, please contact the Student Service Center, 2201 C.B. Hedgcock, 906-227-1221. Currently enrolled students can pay their bills online at e-bill through MyNMU.


How do I get a course description for a course listed on my Northern Michigan University transcript?
Course descriptions are available on the Web from a choice of university bulletins. Course descriptions from the late 1960's and early 1970's are also available on the Web.

Please utilize the on-line resources for course descriptions.  For course descriptions not listed on the web, please submit a request in writing to: 

Registrar's Office
2202 C.B. Hedgcock
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855-5323


Are my SAT, ACT or AP scores listed on my transcript?
Test scores do not appear on your Northern Michigan University transcript. Students can contact the College Board or ACT website for information on how to obtain their test results.


Can I request my undergraduate and graduate transcripts separately?
The Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers require that transcripts contain all essential academic data such as: dates of attendance, courses taken, grades and credits awarded and degrees received. Your entire academic record, undergraduate and graduate level work, if applicable, are included in each set of transcripts you order. Under the established university guidelines, NMU must provide a complete transcript including undergraduate and/or graduate work, if applicable.