New Student Newsletter

President's Welcome

NMU Students:

Welcome to Northern Michigan University. I hope you are as excited as me to get the courses and activities under way.

What I like most about the start of a new semester is the potential for great things to happen. There will be some changes taking place at NMU this year, as there are every year. Universities need to be dynamic, ever-transitioning organizations if they want to stay vital and relevant. You will have the opportunity to participate in discussions and activities related to our evolving transformation and I encourage you bring your student voice to the table in a positive and productive way. Though change involves adjusting to something different, change at NMU has opened doors to some amazing initiatives and efforts now underway that I’m really excited about. I hope you will be too.

At the start of a new semester, my message for students remains consistent and simple: Get involved. Get involved in the discussions in your courses. Get involved in your residence halls if you live on campus. Join student organizations. Attend plays, concerts, lectures and Wildcat sporting events. Find out about what’s going on in the Marquette community and participate.

Whatever your fears are right now that might keep you from getting involved, push them aside for that 30 seconds it takes to walk through the door of someplace new, or the two minutes it takes to give your opinion on a topic being discussed in class, or that hour to complete a new student group meeting. Being fearless for whatever length of time it takes to complete that first step in a new direction can teach you how to be courageous for the rest of your life.

I wish you a bold, innovative and fearless semester, one full of academic and personal discovery.

President Fritz Erickson

New Communication Tools

Northern is working on two new communication tools to help students stay informed about what’s going on at the university and NMU’s decision-making process, as well as a way for students to provide information to university officials.

The first tool is an electronic newsletter called Student Campus Connect. This is a modified version of the already existing faculty-staff newsletter, Campus Connect. The newsletter will be delivered to student NMU email addresses twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays, during the fall and winter semesters. The newsletter will include links to news reports, special features and periodic updates from the president and vice presidents. Student Campus Connect will also include student announcements and links to the NMU calendar events.

The other tool is the new Student Feedback System, a website and database that will facilitate helping students to get questions, concerns and compliments to the right people and departments. The website will provide an online form for students to give feedback, which when submitted will promptly direct the feedback to the university area that can best address the issue.

Watch for more information and launch dates for these new tools early in the semester.

Register your car on the web
Parking Decal Required to Park on Campus

Students wishing to park on campus during the school year must purchase Resident Parkinga parking permit. Students have the option of registering their vehicles on MyNMU or in person at Public Safety Parking Services. Students who register on MyNMU will have their parking permit mailed to them. A valid vehicle registration is required if you register a vehicle in person. No exceptions will be granted.

All tickets are valid citations including those written the first week of school. Tickets issued for failure to register a motor vehicle will not be excused. Students who need to park on campus and do not have a valid permit must stop at Public Safety and Police Services and get a temporary permit. Temporary permits are available for up to 5 days a semester at no charge. Four-week temporary permits are available for $30. The annual fee for commuters, residents and university apartment residents is $140. This is pro-rated if you only need a pass for winter or summer. Second vehicle permits are half the price of the first vehicle permit. Motorcycle permits are $22.50.

Parking Decal Application

Current Students - If you have already registered for classes, please purchase your parking decal(s) on MyNMU. The application can be found under the Student Services tab. You must be registered for classes in order to purchase a parking decal.

Visitors and Guests - Please visit Public Safety and Police Services to receive a complimentary parking pass. Public Safety and Police Services, Parking Bureau, 100 Services Building - 906-227-1476.  Campus Map 

Laptop Pickup

To receive a computer, a student must be currently enrolled (tuition paid or tuition payment plan selected) and registered for credit earning classes. Students must present a valid picture ID and sign a Computer Use Agreement. If the student is under 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the Computer Use Agreement. Distribution information for students can be found at:

Assistance with setting up and registering the computer will be available on-site. To receive help, students will need their NMU (e-mail) user ID and password. First-time students should have received a user ID and password at orientation. Students who have lost or forgotten their user ID or password can go to MyUser on the web, or contact the Help Desk,, (906) 227-2468, 116 Learning Resource Center. The Help Desk will have a booth in the Superior Dome during distribution.

Students who are eligible to receive a laptop can go to the Micro Repair Office, located in the lower level of Harden Hall, to pick up their computers. Micro Repair will be open during normal university business hours.

Network User ID and Password

Wondering how to find your network user ID and password used to access NMU network and email services? MyUser is a web server that enables students, faculty and staff to check the status of their NMU accounts. You can also change your account password and personalize settings such as e-mail spam filtering. MyUser also offers the ability for users to check the status of login, e-mail, web and personal information. For more information contact the Help Desk,, 227-2468, 116 Learning Resource Center.

Taking a Web Course?New NMU Laptop

All students taking a web course will be required to complete an on-line tutorial prior to being able to access the course. This tutorial is a one-time requirement; once you have completed it, you will not need to complete it again in the future. The tutorial is available under your list of courses in EduCat. It can be completed any time, but must be done before you can log into a web course(s). The tutorial itself is estimated to take two or three hours to fully complete, although your progress is saved along the way if you want or need to take it in smaller intervals of time.

Academic and Financial Records - Proxy Access

Students have the option of sharing certain aspects of their academic record with others through our Proxy Access system. Granting access is done easily through the student's MyNMU account. All they need is the e-mail address of the person they want to give access to. For more information and instructions on how to grant someone access, go to

E-Mail is the Official Form of Communication at NMU

Student at LectureNorthern Michigan University uses a student’s NMU e-mail account as its primary means of communicating official university business, including legally required information. As a condition of enrollment, all NMU students are required to use their assigned NMU e-mail accounts to receive communication from the university.NMU Graduate

Don't Miss the Registration Deadline!

If you are planning to graduate at the end of the fall semester, you must register for graduation so a final degree audit can be completed to verify your eligibility. Register online just the same way as you would for a course or contact the Student Service Center at 906-227-1221. The deadline is Thursday at 5 p.m. during the first week of the semester.

NMU Offers Emergency Text-Message Alerts

Northern Michigan University offers an instant text-messaging program to alert students, faculty and staff to on-campus emergencies.

While the service is free – aside from any text messaging fee associated with the cell phone carrier – it isn't automatic. Individuals must opt in by registering at Texting in classroomYou must have an NMU e-mail account and a phone that accepts text messages. You can also sign up family members to receive the same alerts sent to the campus community.

"There is talk of making this type of service a requirement for all universities," said Jeff Mincheff of NMU Public Safety and Police Services. "A driving force behind this is the Clery Act and its emphasis on timely notification. It's estimated 95 percent or more of the campus population has cell phones with text-messaging capability, so it's an easy way to contact a majority of the people you're trying to reach in an urgent situation."

The program is designed to enable all types of text messaging, but NMU uses the system only for emergency notifications and announcement of inclement weather related closures.

"We already have a variety of tools that we can use to try to contact members of the NMU community in times of an emergency, such as e-mail, voice mail, large monitors in some facilities, websites, announcements to media outlets and person-to-person communication. This is another tool that affords us one more way to try to get information out as quickly as possible," said Mincheff.

To learn more about NMU's emergency text messaging program, go to

Tuition and Fee Billing

In setting rates this year, the NMU Board of Trustees made several changes to Northern’s tuition and fees structure, including moving to an upper- and lower-division differential tuition model, lowering the flat-rate tuition credit cap from 18 down to 16, adding and increasing some course fees, and implementing a student recreation pass. Additionally, two payment process changes were made: setting the credit/debit card convenience fee at 2.75% and requiring all credit card payments to be made online rather than in person. To learn more about the specific changes, go to or

To assist with questions about tuition and fees and other university issues, the NMU Information Center recently reopened. The center is manned by a full-time staff member and NMU students who field telephone calls made to the Student Service Center and Financial Aid offices.

Tuition and fee rates and billing statements are available for viewing and/or making payment at For questions about tuition and fees, financial aid or general “start of the semester” matters, call 906-227-1221.

Tuition and Fee Payment Plans

NMU offers three options for the payment of tuition and fees and housing charges. The options are designed to assist students and their families to meet their financial obligations to the university. More information is posted on the web at or contact the Student Service Center.

Expecting an Overage Check?

A notice will be sent to your NMU e-mail address when your overage check is available. For more information contact the Student Service Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2201, Phone: 906-227-1221, E-mail:, Website:

Order Your Transcripts Online!

NMU TranscriptNorthern Michigan University has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to provide transcript ordering online through your MyNMU account. Students can order official transcripts from anywhere with an internet connection and receive an electronic PDF delivered to an email address in less than an hour. This service also sends email notifications of order status throughout the process. 

More information about requesting a transcript can be found on the How to Request a Transcript webpage.


The university does not mail grade reports. Final grades will be available online at MyNMU after each semester. You can also access an unofficial transcript and check your course schedule using MyNMU.

Grade Changes

Occasionally an error is made in the calculation or recording of a grade. If you feel that a clerical error has been made in a grade, contact your instructor immediately. Faculty must submit grade changes for clerical errors to the Registrar's Office by the 15th working day of the semester. Students formally appealing a grade must submit a grade appeal to the respective academic department within 30 calendar days of the start of the next semester. More details regarding the grade appeal process can be found in the Student Handbook.

Course Repeat PolicyJXJ Hall

If you are repeating a course this semester, please notify the Registrar's Office, C.B. Hedgcock, room 2202, 906-227-2278, or e-mail so your record can be properly adjusted. NMU counts the most recent grade in a course even if that grade is lower than the previous one. If you are receiving financial aid and are repeating a course in which you received a grade other than an "F", you should review the repeat policy for potential impacts to your current financial aid eligibility. Repeating courses may also impact your long term financial aid eligibility. Please review the satisfactory academic progress policy.

While the university allows almost any course to be repeated, if you have failed a course two times at NMU, you must wait for one semester during the academic year before taking the course for the third time. Additionally, you must demonstrate to the head of the department offering the course that the factors that contributed to poor performance have been addressed and resolve

Have you Updated your Local Address and Phone Number?

Even though NMU uses e-mail as a primary way to communicate with students, the university still needs an updated address and phone number. NMU faculty and staff or classmates may try to reach students by phone or important documents may be sent by mail. If you have not given the university your local address, information will be sent to your permanent address. This could possibly result in a delay in receiving information that is time-sensitive. You can update your local and permanent address and phone number on their MyNMU account under the Student Services tab, or stop by the Student Service Center and fill out an address change form.

Semester Deletion Policy

This policy allows students who qualify to delete an entire semester of NMU grades. Students must return to the university after an extended period of time, not have attended any college for at least three years before reentry, and meet certain GPA requirements. For information, contact the Academic and Career Advisement Center.

Changing or Declaring Your Major

iphone smartphoneAll changes to majors, except education and psychology majors, are made by the staff in the Academic and Career Advisement Center or on the web. Students wishing to declare a major in education or psychology must contact the respective department. Academic and Career Advisement Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 3302, 906-227-297 e-mail:, website:

Graduate Student News

Graduate Student Orientation-Whether you are a new or returning student, our optional online Graduate Student Orientation will help you navigate your way to success.

Non-Degree Students-If you plan on obtaining a graduate degree or certificate, you must complete a new application or request a curriculum change. You will need to meet the admission requirements and be admitted to the desired program in order to receive a graduate degree or certificate. There is no assurance that courses taken as a non-degree student will apply to your degree.

Plan of Study/CAPP-Online Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) is now available through My.NMU for most graduate students. CAPP is an advising tool used by both students and advisers to evaluate coursework against degree requirements and is used as a graduate program plan of study. An adviser hold will be placed on your record after the completion of eight credit hours. Note: CAPP degree evaluations are unofficial unless verified by the graduate office. Students are responsible for meeting all of the requirements specified in their graduate bulletin. If a CAPP audit is not available for your bulletin year/program, you will need to develop a paper plan of study with your adviser.

The 7-Year Rule-There is a seven year time limit on credits for graduate degrees. If you do not complete your degree within seven years, you will lose credits taken more than seven years ago unless you are granted an extension by the graduate office. Extensions may be granted in rare cases where unforeseen circumstances keeps the student from graduating on time and must be supported by the academic department. In no cases will courses more than ten years old by the time of graduation be counted towards the degree.

R Grades-Students may receive a research in progress "R" grade in a course where the primary focus is research, such as a thesis. The student has a maximum of three years from when the "R" grade is issued to complete the course requirements. Faculty may designate a deadline of less than three years if deemed appropriate. Failure to complete the specified work within the designated time frame may result in an "U" or "F" grade for the course.

Master's Capstone Project-A capstone project is required for all master's degrees and is typically identified as a thesis, a graduate research project, portfolio or file papers. For more information on this requirement, contact your adviser or the Office of Graduate Education and Research.

Electronic Thesis Submission-All theses must be submitted electronically at least 30 calendar days prior to graduation to the NMU Commons. See for complete instructions on how to submit your thesis.

Graduation-If you plan to graduate with any degree or certificate, you MUST register for graduation by the 4th day of the semester of graduation. Register online the same way as you would for a class (subject-Graduation) or contact the graduate office at 906-227-2300. Failure to register may result in not being awarded your degree. Office of Graduate Education and Research, 401 Cohodas Hall, Phone: 906-227-2300, E-mail:, Website:


UP MapIf you are originally from another state, but have made Michigan your permanent residence (living here year round and cut all ties with your previous domicile), you may apply for in-state residency status. If you are active in the military, a veteran, or the spouse or dependent of a veteran, you are automatically eligible for in-state residency status, but you will need to notify us so we may update your record. Students whose parents or grand parents are graduates of NMU are also eligible. Contact the Admissions (new students) or the Registrar's Office (continuing students) for more information.

Electronic Financial Aid Notifications

The Financial Aid Office uses students' NMU e-mail accounts for communicating important information. Notifications regarding missing information, financial aid awards and award adjustments are sent to students' NMU e-mail addresses.

Students are prompted to go to MyNMU to access their financial aid account information. Reminders about important dates such as those for filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, finalizing enrollment for financial aid purposes, turning in requested documents, and availability of summer applications will also be sent to students electronically. In addition, most required forms can be printed from

Students should check their NMU e-mail regularly.

Additional information about the Financial Aid Office can be found at The site also contains financial aid rights and responsibilities information, resources for finding scholarships and alternative loan contacts.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Federal law requires all students who receive financial aid to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward their degrees. The intent of this policy is to ensure that students who are receiving federal financial aid for their education are making measurable progress toward completion of a degree in a reasonable period of time. This policy affects federal, state and NMU institutional aid. The policy is available on the Financial Aid website at: Aid Office, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2107, 906-227-2327, e-mail:

Government and University Mandated Notifications

Northern Michigan University and all federally funded educational institutions are required by law to report the following information to students, faculty, staff and the university community on a yearly basis. NMU updates these reports each summer prior to publication. Please visit the consumer and safety information web page to review other consumer disclosures:

Consumer and Safety Information

Federal regulations require that institutions provide enrolled and prospective students specific consumer information about financial aid, campus, facilities, student athletes, important resources and disclosures, as well as information to promote campus security and fire safety, and to prevent drug and alcohol abuse. Because of the nature of federal, state and institution guidelines affecting financial aid programs, the information contained in this website is subject to change.

State Consumer Protection Violation Contact

Consumer SignNorthern Michigan University works diligently to maintain the highest level of integrity in all areas of its mission and daily operations. However, it is important that students, faculty, staff, alumni, community members and other consumers of NMU's services know what to do in the event of a situation that involves suspected fraud, illegal, or unethical behaviors regarding consumer protection. In addition to the university's internal policy for reporting fraud and other consumer protection violations, NMU follows the federal guideline of providing a state contact where complaints can be filed. For information on filing a complaint, go to protection.

Zero Tolerance on Copyright Infringement

FBI Anti Piracy Warning

Northern Michigan University has always maintained a zero tolerance policy for copyright infringement; it is an integral part of the university's Acceptable Use Policy that all users of the NMU community must read and agree to before being granted access to the university network.

NMU purchased a software tool to monitor the network for illegal sharing of copyrighted materials (audio, video, and software), and has been using the software since August 2007.

A first infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning e-mail that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a period of 48 hours from the time the infraction is recorded. Once the 48 hours has passed, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network.

A second infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning e-mail that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a minimum of 48 hours, and until the user resolves all infractions with the NMU HelpDesk. Once the infractions are resolved, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network.

A third infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning e-mail that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a 60-day period. Third infractions by students will result in Student Code charges and will be handled through the Dean of Students Office. Once the 60-day period has passed, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network. Human Resources will handle third infractions for faculty and staff.

Those with questions regarding acceptable network and computer use should contact the NMU HelpDesk at 906-227-2468 or

Policy Regarding Sexual Offender RegistrationFBI Anti Piracy Warning

In accordance with the Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act, Northern Michigan University is providing a link to the Michigan Public Sex Offender Registration Website: A link to this registry is also available on NMU's Public Safety Website:

This act requires Northern Michigan University to issue a statement advising the campus community where law enforcement information provided by the state of Michigan concerning registered sex offenders may be obtained. It also requires sex offenders already required to register in the state to provide notice to each institution of higher education in the state at which the person is employed, carries on a vocation or is a student.

Restricting Directory Information

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the university may release—without your authorization—certain information about you. This information is called "directory information."

NMU ArchivesHowever, you have the right to restrict the release of all directory information by completing a form available from the Student Service Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2201. This may be done at any time during the semester. You may also request to withhold directory information from the university telephone directory. See related articles- Implications of Restricting Your Informationand Restricting Information from the NMU Telephone Directory.

The following information may be released unless you specifically request otherwise:

  • name
  • local address, local telephone number, permanent address, permanent telephone number
  • NMU e-mail address
  • dates of attendance at the university, enrollment status, degrees earned, honors, awards, participation in officially recognized university activities and sports(includes height and weight of student athletes), current term candidacy for degrees and/or teaching certification
  • program level, class standing, major/minor
  • photographs

Requesting a restriction of any of the above categories of information will result in a confidentiality indicator being set on your record. If your name is restricted, this means that you must transact all business in person or via the web. NMU staff will not be able to assist you over the phone, nor will the university acknowledge your presence as a student to outside agencies or in university publications.

Implications of Restricting Your InformationLock and Key

Exercising your right under FERPA to restrict your information has implications university-wide. If you restrict your name, you are telling the university that you do not want NMU to acknowledge your presence as a student to any outside agency in any way. This means that you will have to conduct all business either in person with proper photo identification or on your computer at My.NMU. Staff members cannot assist you over the telephone.

Restricting all directory information results in several issues students don't often realize. It means that your enrollment cannot be verified to any outside source such as potential employers, colleges or universities or medical insurance companies. Your name will not appear in any official university publication distributed to the public, such as the Dean's List, a theater or commencement program, and no information concerning your accomplishments can be provided to the media including academic, extra curricular, or athletic recognition.

A restriction that you place on your information lasts until you remove it, even though you may no longer be a student. If you leave the university with the restrictions in place, the university may not be able to verify to a future employer or anyone else that you had attended or graduated from NMU.

Restricting Information from the NMU Directory

The following information is published each year in the Northern Michigan University online directory:

  • name
  • local address
  • local telephone number
  • permanent address
  • permanent telephone number

All students who are enrolled are listed in the directory unless they request non-disclosure of directory information. Students who have previously requested non-disclosure of directory information will not have their name and address published in the online campus directory. Students may request to have their information omitted from the directory by restricting the release of directory information. Restricting directory information sets a confidentiality flag. See related article, Restricting Directory Information, for more information. To restrict directory information, bring your picture I.D. to the Student Service Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2201.

Athletic Program Participation Rates Notification

Ladies BasketballA full report on athletic program participation rates and financial support data can be found at: A paper copy is available upon request at the Financial Aid Office or the Intercollegiate Athletics Office.

Financial Aid Office
C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2107
Phone: 906-227-2327
Intercollegiate Athletics Office
Superior Dome, Room B109
Phone: 906-227-2105

Voter Registration

Information on voting in local, state, and federal elections, including a copy of the Michigan voter registration application form, may be accessed at ballot

What should I do so that I can vote?
If you would like to vote in the next election, you must be all of the following:

  • A U.S. Citizen;
  • At least 18 years old by Election Day;
  • A resident of Michigan, and;
  • A resident of the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.

You must be registered to vote at least 30 days before an election. 

You may obtain the application at one of the following:

  • Your local Secretary of State branch office 
  • Your local county, city, or township clerk's office
  • Offices of several state agencies, like the Department of Human Services, the Department of Community Health, and the Department of Labor and Economic Growth
  • Military recruitment centers
  • Voter registration drives
  • Online at

Michigan law states that the same address must be used for voter registration and driver's license purposes. That means, if the residence address you provide on the application differs from the address shown on a driver's license or personal identification card issued by the state of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver's license or personal ID card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If a change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your driver's license or personal ID card. Students who are voting for the very first time will need to vote in person. You must also vote at the precinct of your voter registration address. The City of Marquette, Marquette Township and Chocolay Township have many different polling locations. Please refer to the polling locations map for your precinct.

If you have any questions, please contact the Marquette City Clerk's office or the clerk's office in the city or township that you reside. Kris M. Hazeres, Marquette City Clerk, 300 W. Baraga Ave., Marquette, MI 49855, 906-228-0430, email:

Already Registered to Vote Back Home?
Voting is one of the most cherished and fundamental rights in our country. If you are eligible to obtain an absent voter ballot and cannot attend the polls in your hometown on election day, use of the absent voter ballot is strongly encouraged. You must do so well in advance, so file an absentee voter ballot now. More information about absentee voting can be obtained from your local clerks office or from the Michigan Secretary of State: What You Need to Know About Absentee Voting.

Equal Opportunity at NMU

Two HandsNorthern Michigan University is an equal opportunity institution and an equal opportunity employer.

NMU is committed to administering all employment, admission and educational policies and practices without unlawful discrimination, according to state and federal laws. These laws and policies are intended to ensure fairness in hiring, employee relations and benefits, student admissions, the provision of student services, and workplace and classroom accommodations.

Northern Michigan University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, national origin, color, religion or creed, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, height, weight, marital status, familial status, handicap/disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law in employment or the provision of services. NMU provides, upon request, reasonable accommodation including auxiliary aids and services necessary to afford individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in all programs and activities.

In addition, Northern is committed to ongoing efforts that increase the diversity of its faculty, staff and students.

Northern Michigan University's Dean of Students coordinates student-based compliance, the Human Resources Office is responsible for employee-related issues, and the Equal Opportunity Office is responsible for employee-based compliance.

If you have questions, or if you believe that a violation or potential violation of state or federal non-discrimination laws has occurred, is occurring or will occur, please notify the Equal Opportunity Office or the Dean of Students, as appropriate. Mail to either office can be sent to 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.

Dean of Students
C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2001

Christine Greer
Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students

Equal Opportunity Office
158 Services Building

Janet Koski
Director of Equal Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Officer and Title IX Coordinator

NMU Graduation Rates

NMU Graduation CeremonyInstitutions of higher education have been directed by the federal government to share information regarding student graduation rates.

Below are Northern Michigan University’s graduation rates by cohort based on the year that the students enrolled at NMU. These rates represent all first-time, full-time degree seeking freshmen in their given cohort year. Cells with “n/a” are empty because those points in time have not yet passed. Data for 2016 graduates will be available at the end of summer 2016 and can be requested from the Institutional Research Office by emailing or calling 906-227-2670.


4 year %

5 year %

6 year %

7+ year %


























For more information on NMU graduation rates or other statistical data, check out the NMU Institutional Research website at:

ADA Accommodations

Student in wheelchairDisability Services provides assistance for students who qualify under the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA) to receive accommodations.

Students interested in requesting accommodations should contact Disability Services.

Disability Services
(located in the Dean of Students Office)
C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2001
Phone: 906-227-1700

Human Resources provides assistance for employees of the university and applicants for employment who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act and amendments to receive accommodations.

An employee or applicant interested in requesting accommodations should contact Human Resources.

Human Resources
158 Services Building
Phone: 906-227-2420

Empowering Yourself – Safety Awareness

Northern Michigan University is committed to providing education and support services that empower students, faculty, and staff. Ladie doing situpsNMU is dedicated to creating a safe and respectful community that does not tolerate sexual assault, and seeks to cultivate and support a community of sexual respect and safety.

To reduce your risk of sexual misconduct, please remember these important tips: stay in touch with someone who knows where you are and who you're with; be cautious if someone tries to isolate you, even someone you know or trust; know and communicate your limits firmly and directly; limit alcohol intake; never leave a drink unattended; and be aware of your surroundings.

If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual assault, please contact:

Janet Koski
Director of Equal Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Officer
Title IX Coordinator
158 Services Building
906-227-2420 or

Student's Right to Review Records (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights are:

The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days from the day the university receives a request for access. Student DetectiveStudents should submit a written request to the office housing the records, identifying the record(s) he or she wishes to inspect.

The right to request an amendment to the student's education record that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record he or she wants changed, and specify why they believe it is inaccurate or misleading.

The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without written consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. A school official may include those who contract with the university to provide services.

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20202.

NMU's complete FERPA policy can be viewed at

The Jeanne Clery Act

Notice of Availability of Annual Security Report

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act requires the university to report certain crime statistics on a yearly basis. Northern Michigan University's Annual Security Report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Northern Michigan University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.

The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting NMU Public Safety or by accessing the Public Safety and Police Services website at: