CAPP Availability and General Information


Placement of Courses


Majors and Minors


Grade Point Averages


Resolving Errors or Questions


Who can use the CAPP degree evaluation?

Currently enrolled degree-seeking students with declared major (minor and concentration if required) can use CAPP. However, there are a few exceptions.  See  What if my evaluation will not run or I think my evaluation is wrong?


I have credits prior to Fall 1993. Can I still use CAPP?

You can still use CAPP, however, the evaluation will not list courses you took prior to Fall 1993.  See your major advisor to see how those courses might apply to your degree requirements. 


Are there requirements that CAPP doesn't check?

Yes. CAPP does not check all requirements for Teacher Certification and some other degree programs. You should use CAPP in conjunction with your Bulletin and regular meetings with your academic adviser to ensure you remain on track for graduation.


How can I see how my courses might apply to a major other than the one I’m currently in?

Your adviser has access to an additional function on CAPP (What If) which allows you to look at how your courses might be applied toward other majors.  The staff in the Academic and Career Advisement Center, 3202 Hedgcock, can also run this for you. 


What does "Catalog Term" mean? What does "Evaluation Term" mean? 

Catalog Term relates to the NMU bulletin your requirements will be evaluated against. For undergraduate students, Catalog Term is the semester student entered NMU or it may reflect major declaration.  See your academic adviser, if you feel you are under the wrong Catalog Term. 

Evaluation Term is the semester in progress at the time of the request to generate the evaluation.  This is an item selected by the person generating the evaluation.


Why does the area (major/minor, etc) say “NOT MET” when I took all the courses?

This indicates you are still not meeting all requirements in the section.  Often it means overall credits for the area are not met (usually due to transfer courses) or a required major/minor grade or GPA is not met.  For a transfer student in a bachelor’s program, he/she may not have the required minimum 8 NMU credits for major; 4 NMU credits for minor.


Under the term column, what is the 6 digit number to the left of a completed course?

The number is the semester you completed the course.  The first 4 digits represent the year the course was taken.  The final 2 digits represent the semester:  xxxx10 = winter semester; xxxx50 = summer session; xxxx80 = fall semester.  So 200880 is fall semester 2008; 200910 is winter semester 2009.


How does CAPP decide where to place courses that I've completed?

Typically CAPP takes the most recent course to fulfill a requirement.  It is possible a registered course will be picked up to fulfill a requirement already met by a completed course.  Sometimes course placements need to be adjusted.  This will be done once you are eligible for an official degree audit.  See What if my evaluation will not run or I think my evaluation is wrong?


Why does CAPP show a course being split and used in two places?

CAPP only uses the credits necessary to complete a requirement.  The remaining credits will be used elsewhere or fall into general electives.  For example, if you are required to take 2 business electives and you take a four credit course, CAPP will list two credits of that course under business electives and the other two credits for that course under general electives.


The degree evaluation placed one of my courses in two places.  Is that okay?

Yes. CAPP is programmed to recognize that courses can fulfill multiple requirements. However, if a course is required for both your major and minor and applied to both, email degaudit@nmu.edu.  Even if same course is required for both, it cannot be used to meet both requirements and the course in your minor must be substituted by the minor department.


How will substituted or waived courses appear on CAPP

This information will be programmed by the Registrar's Office once a student becomes eligible for an official degree evaluation. For more information, see What if my evaluation will not run or I think my evaluation is wrong?

When applied substituted course will automatically be used to fulfill the requirement specified, and you will see that course listed next to the requirement.  A waiver will be noted as "waived" alongside the requirement.  NOTE:  Course can be waived, but credits for course cannot.  If a course in the major is waived, another course of equivalent credits must be taken to meet the credits missing from waived course.  Minimum total credits for each major and minor must be met.


I repeated a course, and I don't understand how it appears on the degree evaluation. Can you explain this to me?

If the repeated course has been removed from your records (i.e., it is marked with either an ‘I’ for Included or an ‘E’ for excluded in the repeat column on your transcript), the newest passed course will appear on evaluation.  If you are currently registered for course when evaluation is generated the previous course is still applied to evaluation, unless previous course was failed.  Failed and incomplete courses do not apply to the evaluation.  These courses can be found under the “Additional Information” option.


Does my CAPP evaluation include the classes I am currently taking?

Yes, CAPP displays and counts in-progress work.  Those courses will be in red and have a red “R” in the source column on the right of the page.  However, if you are repeating a course that you previously received credit for, the registered course will not be selected until the end of the semester when the repeat maintenance has been done in the Registrar's Office.


Some requirements have “or” & “and” next to them. What does this mean?

A requirement with an "or" next to it means that you can take the requirement it is listed next to or the one listed above it. A requirement with an "and" next to it means that you must take the requirement it is listed next to and the requirement above it. Courses marked as ‘or’ will remain red after you complete the specific requirement if all requirements in area (ie: major, minor) are not yet met.


What happens to courses that I withdrew from or failed?

Any course with a non-passing or incomplete grade will appear in the “Additional Information” option (found on the “Degree Evaluation Display Options” screen.)


What happens to courses when I receive an "I" (incomplete) grade?

Any course with an "I" (incomplete) grade will appear in the “Additional Information” option (found on the “Degree Evaluation Display Options” screen) until a final satisfactory grade is earned.


What do I do if CAPP lists my major incorrectly?

You can update your major online at www.nmu.edu/advising or by visiting the Academic and Career Advisement Center in 3202 Hedgcock. Please note that it may take a day or two for the change to go into effect.  Make sure all components required for your degree are declared.  The CAPP degree evaluation only generates what you declare.  If you miss something, the evaluation will not reflect this missing part of your academic program.


How can I find my major GPA?

The grade point average (GPA) is in the lower right corner of the area. If you have transfer courses applied to the area, transfer grades are NOT included in the GPA.  So the area GPA must be calculated manually.

Some majors are split into multiple areas. These majors would also need the GPA calculated by hand.  A GPA calculator can be found at www.nmu.edu/advising.


My major/minor GPA does not accurately reflect the grades for my courses?

Most likely you have transfer courses applied to the area.  The area GPA’s only include NMU grades.  If the section requires a minimum GPA and transfer grades are in area, the GPA must be calculated manually.  A GPA calculator can be found at www.nmu.edu/advising.


What are the program and overall grade point averages listed on the first page of my evaluation?

The overall grade point average is your cumulative grade point average. The majority of transfer students (fall 2004 and on) received credit for their transfer work but the grades were not transferredinto NMU.  (If you transferred courses to NMU prior to Fall 2004, your transfer grades are included in your overall GPA.  These transfer students must make sure their NMU GPA is a minimum of 2.00.  This GPA is not on CAPP.)  The program grade point average is not used at NMU and should be disregarded. Please note that program grade point average is not your major grade point average. 


I am retaking a course. Why doesn't it show that I am registered?

If a grade does not meet a minimum area grade requirement, but a D- or higher was earned in the previous attempt, the course should be listed under “General Electives”.  The previous attempt is used on the evaluation until the new attempt is completed.  (The NMU repeat policy always takes the most recent attempt, even if the course is failed.)  Courses with Incomplete (I), Missing Grade (MG), or continuing course grades (X) will not show up on the degree evaluation.  These courses must have a final grade to graduate.  Any failed (F) or withdrawn (W) grades will not appear on the evaluation.


Why does my course with an incomplete grade not show up on the evaluation?

Courses with Incomplete (I), Missing Grade (MG), or continuing course grades (X) will not show up on the degree evaluation.  These courses must have a final grade to graduate.  Any failed (F) or withdrawn (W) grades will not appear on the evaluation.


What if my evaluation will not run or I think my evaluation is wrong?

There are reasons why the CAPP Degree Evaluation does not generate or it does not run accurately.  For an evaluation not running at all, it is likely your declared major does not exist in the CAPP degree evaluation program.  Those programs, in addition to reasons for missing courses/credits or adjustment issues, are listed below. 

Any possible corrections or issues are only made to CAPP on the Official Degree Evaluation when required minimum credits are earned by student (87 bachelor, 32 associate,16 certificate). 

Adjustment Issues: Adjustment issues are only fixed on official degree evaluations run by Registrar’s staff.  See Official Degree Evaluation above. If issues cannot be corrected on CAPP, the official degree evaluation is completed manually by Registrar’s staff.

  •  Honors Program Courses (course prefix HON)

  • Same course in major and minor (need course substitution from minor department.)

  • Credits short in major/minor (transfer credits less than NMU credits for same course.)

  • Course distribution does not match bulletin for Catalog Term listed (CAPP degree program for ‘catalog term’ not yet updated by Registrar’s staff.)

  • Liberal Studies/General Education course falls into General Electives (course may not have been flagged on student record system as liberal studies course.

  • Course for major/minor not distributing to correct area (course, typically transfer, may need to be re-evaluated or minimum grade for major/minor course not met.)

Majors NOT on CAPP: Not all majors can be written on CAPP.  Official evaluations for majors not on CAPP are completed manually. See Official Degree Evaluation above.

  • Post-baccalaureate (until individualized evaluation is created by Degree Evaluation Staff)

  • Pre-professional (pre-med, pre-pharmacy, pre-vet, etc.)

  • General University Studies Associate Degree without a declared concentration

  • Majors/minors no longer offered or suspended by NMU

  • New majors/minors not yet added to CAPP

Missing Courses/Credits:  There are reasons courses/credits are missing from the degree evaluation. When courses/credits are missing either an adjustment will be made on CAPP by Registrar’s staff or the official degree evaluation will be completed manually by staff.  See Official Degree Evaluation above.

  • Course/credits were completed at NMU prior to Fall 1993

  • Recent transfer credits are not on NMU student record system (verify transfer institution mailed official transcript to NMU.)

  • Major/minor course credits are less than what was earned when course completed (CAPP allows a course to split, allowing some credits to distribute to one area and the remaining credits to another area.

  • Incomplete grades (I, X, MG, etc) do not apply to CAPP (courses should be in Additional Information section of CAPP.  Once graded, passed courses should apply to evaluation.


Who should I contact if I still have questions?

You should contact your academic adviser to resolve any questions. Staff in the Academic and Career Advisement Center can also be helpful with general questions about your major, minor, or graduation requirements.  If the evaluation is an Official Degree Evaluation generated by the Registrar’s Office, you can e-mail degaudit@nmu.edu with your issue and request a review of your evaluation.  Please note that any substitutions and/or waivers must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by your adviser.  If you have exceptions or transfer credit pending, it may be a few weeks before this information is added to your evaluation.