The Department of Psychological Science offers graduate teaching assistantships for a limited number of students each year. Students awarded assistantships typically teach lab sections for 100 and 200 level undergraduate psychology courses, such as Introduction to Psychology. In addition to gaining valuable teaching experience, graduate assistants receive a tuition waiver and a stipend. Preference will be given to applications received prior to March 1st.
Graduate teaching assistantship positions are granted for one year with a second year generally awarded to graduate assistants who satisfied the conditions of the assistantship, maintained at least a 3.0 GPA for each semester of the assistantship, and provided quality instruction. Please review the general requirements and responsibilities in the Graduate Assistant Handbook posted at http://www.nmu.edu/graduatestudies/node/23.
To apply for a graduate teaching assistantship in the Department of Psychological Science, students must be admitted to the program and provide the following materials:
- The general graduate assistantship application posted at http://www.nmu.edu/graduatestudies/forms-graduate-students
- A curriculum vitae
- An academic transcript (if one was not already supplied during the graduate school application)
- A letter that includes
- A brief description of previous academic and relevant professional experience
- A description of future academic and/or career goals that a Master's Degree in Psychological Science will contribute to
- A ranking of your preferred laboratory sections to teach (see listing below). We cannot guarantee that you will be assigned to your preferred laboratory sections, but your preferences will be helpful as we make our scheduling assignments.
- Possible courses include: Intro to Psychology, Physiological Psychology, Advanced Physiological Psychology, Learning, Social Psychology, Psychological Statistics, and others.
- Three recommendation letters (these can be the same letters submitted for the graduate program application)
Please submit all materials by March 1 to
ATTN: Graduate Assistantship in Psychological Science
Department of Psychological Science
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855
In addition to graduate assistantships within the Department of Psychological Science, NMU also offers graduate assistantships in other university offices. To apply for a graduate assistantship outside the department, students should complete the online application by clicking here. Note that this application is separate from your application to the MS program.