Throughout the summer, we are hosting a number of virtual Orientation programs for our students. Students will attend the session that best fits their student status and needs. Online orientation will now be split into three required phases.
A pre-scheduled afternoon group Zoom session with an Orientation Staff Student Assistant. This Zoom session will begin at 1 p.m. Eastern Standard Time and will last 3-4 hours. (Must complete before Phase Two)
- If you are using a laptop or a desktop: You can access Zoom through a browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome, etc.)
- If you are using a tablet or mobile device: You will need to download the Zoom app before you can access your Orientation session.
During Phase One of Orientation, students will learn about the following:
- NMU’s Laptop Program
- Academic policies and requirements
- Academic programs
- The General Education program
- The First Year Experience (FYE) program
- Practice using the Undergraduate Bulletin
- How to use mynmu.nmu.edu
- What to expect when meeting with your academic adviser
- Q&A with Orientation Staff Assistant
A Moodle Learning Module to be completed individually on your own time. This section should be completed within a week of gaining access to Moodle. You cannot meet with your academic adviser to finalize your Fall schedule until Phase Two is complete. (Must complete before Phase Three)
During Phase Two of Orientation, students will learn about the following:
- Financial Aid
- Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services
- Veteran Student Services
- Campus Resources: Student Service offices, programs, etc.
- Health and Safety Information
- Emergency Text Alerts
- Wildcat ID Cards
- Student Employment
For extra student orientation videos, watch our YouTube playlist.
An academic advising session with your assigned Academic Adviser. Once First Year students (including Commuters, Veterans and Non-Traditional Students) complete Phase Two, you will be contacted by your Academic Adviser regarding finalizing your fall schedule. You will learn more about this meeting during the Phase One Zoom session.
Once transfer students complete Phase Two, you will be in charge of contacting your academic department to set up an advising appointment. You will learn more about this meeting during the Phase One Zoom session, and during the Moodle Learning Module. Students who are Undeclared will need to contact the Academic and Career Advisement Center.
A variety of Zoom workshops will be available for you to attend on Wednesdays, June 10, 17, 24, and July 1, and Tuesday, July 7 at 3 p.m. EST. These workshops are optional, but we encourage all incoming students to participate. Workshops include:
- Career Services - Student Employment & Resources Available
- Get Involved at NMU
- LIVE Campus Tour
- Pro-Tips for Living on Campus
- and more!
The Orientation Staff Assistants are working hard to create optional activities via Zoom for our incoming students. We know how important it is to make connections with other new students, so we will get you our plan as soon as we are able. Our staff are looking forward to meeting you and having some fun together!