Our parent orientation program includes a variety of activities, many of which are separate from those in which the students will be participating. Program participants should expect a full schedule, with session activities occurring from 8 a.m. until approximately 9 p.m. The following list should provide you with an idea of what to expect. You will be kept busy during your stay, but we believe it will be time well spent.
- Campus tour: Become acquainted with NMU's programs and facilities with the assistance of a student tour guide.
- Get acquainted: We will share our goals for your orientation experience and help you meet other parents, including those from your geographic area.
- Residence hall life: The director of housing and residence life will "tell it like it is" regarding residence hall policies and practices.
- Recreation and leisure: You will be invited to participate in recreation and a picnic.
- Questions and answers: As a parent, you are likely to have many specific questions about financial aid, residence hall payments and options, health insurance, and student rights and responsibilities. University staff will be available to meet with you to discuss these topics.
- Looking at some issues: A frank "sharing and caring" session between parents and staff concerning potential problems that new students might encounter and how the university will respond if they occur.
- Optional: Tour our Physical Education Instructional Facility, Superior Dome, Berry Events Center and the City of Marquette.
An abbreviated schedule of parent orientation program activities can be found at the bottom of the student schedule of activities for the session your son or daughter plans on attending (Click this link for additional schedule Information).
Parents and guests planning to participate in the parent orientation program are required to pay a $50 program fee. The fee is $50 for the first guest and only $20 per guest beyond the first. This fee will cover parent program expenses and a picnic dinner. This fee is not included as part of the student orientation fee or accommodations fee. Please note that we do not offer any special programs or activities for children during parent orientation program activities, and that the Parents session content may differ between Fall and Winter sessions.
During Orientation we take an anonymous survey, here are some of the comments written in by past Parents/Guests:
- "So much fun and learned more about NMU. I feel more comfortable knowing my student is in such a nice place!" -Summer 2016
- "Great presentations to prepare for the first child going away to college." -Summer 2016
- "Fantastic. At first I was irritated that we had to be here for 3 days, but it has been such a valuable experience for both my Freshman and myself. Thank you!" -Summer 2016
- I have never felt so comfortable at a campus or leaving my child here- everyone was so friendly and open and welcoming. Thank you for encouraging this type of atmosphere." -Summer 2016