NMU Admission Requirements - Office of Graduate Education and Research
- Complete an Application for Admission to the Office of Graduate Education and Research and submit the application electronically, along with a $50.00 application fee. The application is available at: https://www.nmu.edu/graduatestudies/apply. Students must be admitted by the Office of Graduate Education and Research before being considered by the School of Nursing for the DNP Program.
- Send official transcripts from all universities previously attended (with the exception of NMU) directly to the Office of Graduate Education and Research. Transcripts can be sent electronically or by mail. More information about transcripts and Office of Graduate Education and Research Admission requirements can be found at: https://www.nmu.edu/graduatestudies/graduate-admission.
- Must have a BSN or MSN from an accredited nursing program with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
School of Nursing Admission Requirements – DNP Program
Download and complete the Application for Admission to the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program and submit the application online to Melissa Romero (firstname.lastname@example.org). Application materials are available at the bottom of this page.
- Current RN license. Attach a copy of your RN license to the application materials.
- Attach a current resume to the application materials.
- Three recommendations: - one academic (candidates who have graduated within the last three years must include a faculty recommendation) and two clinical colleagues or manager. Please use the recommendation forms provided at the bottom of this page.
- One-page written description of your goals for graduate study. This is completed and submitted with the application materials. The document should be typed using a computer with Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and double-spaced.
- Email Melissa Romero (email@example.com) to confirm that application materials have been received by the School of Nursing.
The School of Nursing’s Graduate Committee will meet to review applications. Each applicant will receive a letter from the School of Nursing informing him/her of their admission status. An admission grid will be used by the Graduate Committee to evaluate and score applicants.
Other Desirable Qualifications
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate level statistics course (preferred but not required).
- Completion of a health assessment course in undergraduate program with a B or better.
- Completion of courses in anatomy and physiology in an undergraduate or graduate program with a B or better.
Students are encourage to participate in NMU’s laptop program and must have access to a high-speed Internet connection. Student should be proficient in using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, e-mail and accessing the Internet.
Requirements for the Clinical Practicum
Students must provide the School of Nursing with current evidence of the following prior to their clinical rotations:
- An unrestricted RN license
- TB skin test, MMR, hepatitis B, varicella, and Tdap
- CPR certification
- Nurse practitioner student malpractice insurance
- Criminal background check
- Urine drug screen
School of Nursing DNP Application Materials