Admission Requirements - Graduate Studies Office
- Complete an application for admission to the Graduate Studies Office and submit the application electronically, along with a $50.00 application fee. The application is available at: https://www.nmu.edu/application/?ref=graduate. Students must be admitted by the Graduate Studies Office and by the School of Nursing for the DNP Program.
- Send all application materials and official transcripts from all universities previously attended (with the exception of NMU) directly to the Graduate Studies Office. Transcripts can be sent electronically or by mail. More information about transcripts and Graduate Studies Office admission requirements can be found at: https://www.nmu.edu/graduatestudies/graduate-admission.
- Must have a BSN or MSN from an accredited nursing program with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Admission Requirements - School of Nursing
Download and complete the School of Nursing Application for Admission to the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program. This application and all other application materials are available at the bottom of this page
- Other requirements include:
- Current RN license within the United States.
- A current resume.
- Three recommendations: - one academic (candidates who have graduated within the last three years must include a faculty recommendation) and two clinical colleagues or manager. Please use the recommendation form provided at the bottom of this page.
- One-page written description of your goals for graduate study. This is completed and submitted with the application materials. The document should be typed using a computer with Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and double-spaced.
- Upload all of the application materials to the Graduate Studies Office application webpage: https://www.nmu.edu/application/?ref=graduate
- Email Melissa Romero (firstname.lastname@example.org) to confirm that all application materials have been received.
- Application materials will be reviewed by faculty and the applicant will receive a letter from the School of Nursing informing him/her of their admission status.
Other Desirable Qualifications
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate level statistics course (preferred but not required).
- Completion of a health assessment course in undergraduate program with a B or better.
- Completion of courses in anatomy and physiology in an undergraduate or graduate program with a B or better.
Students are encourage to participate in NMU’s laptop program and must have access to a high-speed Internet connection. Student should be proficient in using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, e-mail and accessing the Internet.
Requirements for the Clinical Practicum
Students must provide the School of Nursing with current evidence of the following prior to their clinical rotations:
- An unrestricted RN license
- Two-step TB skin test, MMR, hepatitis B, varicella, and Tdap
- CPR certification
- Nurse practitioner student malpractice insurance
- Criminal background check
- Urine drug screen
School of Nursing DNP Application Materials