Wegonesh Ezhiwebag? (What's happening?)
- February 7, The first N8V Dance Fitness meeting will be held at 9:00 am in Whitman Hall, room 136 (commons) on NMU's campus. Limit: 20 participants per session. Michelle Reed (Lac Du Flambeau Ojibwe) will be leading 8 sessions this semester, and each will require a sign-up at the Center for Native American Studies (you may also call the CNAS at 906-227-1397 to RSVP to any session). See our poster for more details!
- March 23, Anishinaabe Constellations Teachings. Mary and Lawrence Moose will be presenting traditional teachings in the Whitman Commons from 6:00pm - 9:00 pm. Refreshments to be provided.
- March 24, Native American Student Association's 25th annual Learning to Walk Together traditional pow wow. New location: the Marquette Armory, 1820 Lincoln Avenue, Marquette MI (49855). Watch NASA's pow wow website for updates and to volunteer!
- March 22-24, Michigan Indian Education Council (MIEC) Critical Issues Conference. The event will be held at the Ziibiwing Center of Anishinabe Culture & Lifeways, Mt. Pleasant, MI. This year's theme is "Bimaadziwin Nbiish Aawan! (Water is Life!)." Visit the website for more information.
- April 20-21, Running Medicine workshop with Dr. Anthony Fleg, presented by the Center for Native American Studies and Sault Tribe Community Health and Wellness in Indian Country Grant. Dr. Fleg and his colleague Casey Long will be presenting on Running Medicine Friday, from 7-8pm, in the Whitman Commons on NMU's campus (room 136). Refreshments will be served. Saturday morning at 10am, we will congregate in the Whitman Commons, and depending on weather conditions, move to Preque Isle Park or the Superior Dome for a community walk/run.
The American Indian Science and Engineering Society meeting time to be determined
The Native American Student Association (NASA) meeting time: Wednesday's from 3pm - 5pm in the Whitman Commons.
The Native American Language and Culture Club (NALCC) meeting time: Friday's from 3pm - 4 pm in Room 112 in Whitman Hall.
The Native American Beading Club meeting time: Tuesday's from 5pm - 7pm in Room 112 in Whitman Hall.
Waa-nezhwe'ebak. (What's happened.)
View the CNAS Archives
See our past activities in pictures at our CNAS Flickr site.
See the Decolonizing Diet Project pictures at the DDP Flickr site.
Anishinaabe Words of the Month
November 2014 Maada-gan-ji-ge
October 2014 Aabi-da-kamagad
September 2014 Maad 'kami-gad
February 2014 Kaw-taa-ni-gisi-naa
January 2014 Aansokedaa Beboon
December 2013 Mina-jaadaa Maadiziwin
November 2013 Anishinaabe minajaadaa
October 2013 Niibiishan Nnbaasinon
September 2013 Bine kedaa. Jibaa kedaa
April 2013 Kitchi-Piitendaagwad-Maadaziwin
March 2013 Aanii. Ndishinikaas. Donjibaa. Nndodem.
January/February 2013 Gaayiin-geyaabi
December 2012 Ngi-chi-zhi'yaa
November 2012 Minomin miinawa waawaashkezh
October 2012 Nan-ji-geywin
September 2012 Anishinaabe Miijim
June 2012 Agii-zhoowaa
May 2012 Kiik-shki-tonaa
April 2012 We-biidaa
March 2012 Kenwebidaa
February 2012 Megawaa
January 2012 Aanch Miinawa
December 2011 Zhiitaadaa!
November 2011 Miigwech-i-nendim-wodaa
October 2011 Bashki-minsigan
September 2011 Shki-Giizoons Niimi