GEAR UP -- Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs
Mission: The mission of the federal GEAR UP program, administered by the U.S. Department of Education, is to significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post secondary education. This is done by promoting academic excellence through a variety of locally designed and innovative early intervention services.
NMU's GEAR UP grant is also supported by the King Chavez Parks Initiative College Day Program. Together, these grants help to support the students at North Star Academy.
Fastest Growing Occupations through 2026
- Solar Photovoltaic Technician ($42,680)
- Wind Turbine Service Technician ($54,370)
- Home Health Aides ($24,200)
- Personal Care Aides ($24,020)
- Physician assistants ($108,610)
- Nurse Practitioners ($107,030)
- Statisticians ($87,780)
- Physical Therapist Assistants ($58,040)
- Software and Applications Developer ($103,620)
- Mathematician ($101,900)
Visit the Bureau of Labor and Statistics for more information.
Michigan's Hottest Careers through 2026
- Physician Assistants ($43- $58)
- Nurse Practitioner ($43- $55)
- Software and Applications Developer ($33- $53)
- Physical Therapist Assistants ($20- $30)
- Physical Therapist ($35- $48)
- Postsecondary Health Specialty Teacher ($36- $82)
- Market Research Analysts ($21- $40)
- Occupational Therapist ($31- $45)
- Dental Hygienists ($27- $34)
- Healthcare Social Workers ($22- $31)
Visit the Michigan Department of Technology, Management, and Budget for more information.
Check out these resources that can assist in your preparation for furthering your education.
- Student Financial Aid Checklist
- Glossary of College Terms
- Tuition Incentive Program & Federal Pell Grant
- Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
- What can college do for you?
- Nutrition & Exercise
- Median Earnings by Major and Subject