GEAR UP -- Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs
Mission: The mission of the federal GEAR UP program, administered by the U.S. Department of Education, is to significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post secondary education. This is done by promoting academic excellence through a variety of locally designed and innovative early intervention services.
NMU's GEAR UP grant is also supported by the King Chavez Parks Initiative College Day Program. Together, these grants help to support the students at North Star Academy.
Stuck at home educational activities
Are you unsure how to keep your student engaged and actively learning while they're off from school? Here are some resource links you might want to try. Some sites offer activities that might also be appropriate for younger children, if you have any.
No access or slow access to Internet?
Charter Communications may have a solution for you. It requires documentation and an application be filled out and sent in, bringing the cost to $14.99/month. Check it out here.
State Safety On-line Courses
Are you looking for a few learning activities for your student? Did you know the state safety courses are available on-line?
Boater & ORV Safety
Virtual Tours of Michigan Colleges and Universities
Can't physically visit a campus? Check out these virtual campus tours of colleges and universities around Michigan.
- Calvin University
- Central Michigan University
- Delta College
- Eastern Michigan University
- Ferris State University
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Grand Valley State University
- Lake Michigan College
- Michigan State University
- Michigan Tech University
- Mid Michigan College
- Northern Michigan University
- Northwestern Michigan College
- Northwood University
- Oakland Community College
- Oakland University
- Olivet College
- Saginaw Valley State University
- Spring Arbor University
- Southwestern Michigan College
- University of Michigan
- University Of Michigan - Flint
- Wayne State University
- Western Michigan University
MCAN launches free statewide College Advising Hotline
Michigan high school students can now receive timely answers to their questions about postsecondary education, thanks to a new college advising hotline. Michigan College Access Network and partners launched the hotline today in response to the global health crisis caused by COVID-19, aiming to fill the gaps created by the statewide school closure order.
Fastest Growing Occupations through 2026
- Solar Photovoltaic Technician ($42,680)
- Wind Turbine Service Technician ($54,370)
- Home Health Aides ($24,200)
- Personal Care Aides ($24,020)
- Physician assistants ($108,610)
- Nurse Practitioners ($107,030)
- Statisticians ($87,780)
- Physical Therapist Assistants ($58,040)
- Software and Applications Developer ($103,620)
- Mathematician ($101,900)
Visit the Bureau of Labor and Statistics for more information.
Michigan's Hottest Careers through 2026
- Physician Assistants ($43- $58)
- Nurse Practitioner ($43- $55)
- Software and Applications Developer ($33- $53)
- Physical Therapist Assistants ($20- $30)
- Physical Therapist ($35- $48)
- Postsecondary Health Specialty Teacher ($36- $82)
- Market Research Analysts ($21- $40)
- Occupational Therapist ($31- $45)
- Dental Hygienists ($27- $34)
- Healthcare Social Workers ($22- $31)
Visit the Michigan Department of Technology, Management, and Budget for more information.
Check out these resources that can assist in your preparation for furthering your education.
- Student Financial Aid Checklist
- Glossary of College Terms
- Tuition Incentive Program & Federal Pell Grant
- Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
- What can college do for you?
- Nutrition & Exercise
- Median Earnings by Major and Subject