Revision date: April 2018
TRANSPORTING MINORS – DRIVING HISTORY SCREENING
Units operating a youth program that involves transportation of minors must comply with the following requirements:
The program administrator will ensure that program staff who transport youth will be subject to a review by the NMU Police Department, which may include requirements that the driver must:
- be at least 19 years of age;
- have been subject to a Michigan driver records check within the last twelve months;
- have a valid driver’s license;
- not have three or more convictions for moving violations within the past 36 months;
- not have been convicted of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to report an accident, driving with a suspended license or reckless driving within the past 36 months;
- not have been convicted of obtaining a vehicle unlawfully, possessing a stolen vehicle, or using a vehicle in a crime or in connection with an unlawful act.
Any discrepancies will be reviewed by the NMU Police Department. Exceptions to the requirements may only be waived by the NMU Police Department.
The use of private vehicles for transporting minors should be avoided. When private vehicles must be used, contact Risk Management; proof of automobile liability insurance must be delivered to Risk Management.
More than one program staff must be present in the vehicle, except when there are multiple minors for the duration of the transportation.