ROTC Cadet


Getting Started:

Gain permission from your unit to serve as an SMP cadet, join ROTC by signing up for MS139: Leadership & Confidence Building (1-credit) and MS269: Army Physical Fitness Training (1-credit), and request a GRFD or Dedicated ARNG Scholarship through your professor of military science.


For assistance in applying for a GRFD or DedARNG Scholarship, contact Mark Blumenthal, our Scholarships and Enrollment Officer, at or
(906) 227-2687.










There are two Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) Scholarship options:

  1. GRFD Scholarship (please refer to information below)
  2. GRFD-Dedicated Scholarship: If you already know which of the two components (Reserve or National Guard) you wish to commission, please click here

The traditional GRFD Scholarship provides financial assistance to students who wish to earn a college degree and commission as an officer in the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) or National Guard (ARNG). In order to receive one of these scholarships, you must be enrolled in the Simultaneous Membership Program which is a program for currently-enlisted, ROTC cadets. Cadets must be going into their junior year of college before they are eligible to receive GRFD Scholarship benefits, and it is during this time that cadets must choose whether they want to commission with the USAR or ARNG.


  • Full Tuition (last 2 years) - May be applied to Room and Board
  • All Academic Fees
  • Text Book Allowance – Up to $1200 a year
  • $200+ monthly drill and annual training pay
  • Montgomery GI Bill & Kicker benefits (if eligible)
  • Stipend - $420 monthly living allowance (Ten months)


  • Be a US citizen
  • Be between the ages of 17 and 30 (by June 30 of the year you will graduate from college
  • Have a cumulate GPA of 2.5 on all college work completed
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent
  • SAT/ACT, Cumulative High School GPA, Cumulative College GPA and participation in ROTC Program are considered for scholarship award.
  • Meet physical standards
  • Pass a DODMERB physical
  • Must currently be enlisted in the USAR or ARNG
  • Must have completed Basic and Advanced Individual Training
  • Willing to participate and be accepted into the Simultaneous Membership Program


  • Attend the 29-day Cadet Leaders Course (CLC) between your junior and senior years of college
  • Serve as an SMP cadet in the unit of your choice with an available SMP slot
  • An eight-year service commitment with the USAR or ARNG
  • Following graduation, officers begin a new Military Service Obligation (MSO) contract


Back to Pay for College