The Northern Michigan University Student Nurses Association and Students for Organ Donation will sponsor “Joggin for Her Noggin” on Saturday, Nov. 8. The 5K run/walk and 1K walk will benefit Kaylyn Kutchie, an NMU student with brain cancer, and cancer research. The registration fee is $15 prior to Friday, Oct. 31, and $20 after.

            Participants will meet in the Peter White Lounge in the University Center from 9-9:45 a.m. The 5K begins at 10 a.m. and the 1K at 10:15. Both courses run through campus. Registration forms may be picked up in the NMU Volunteer Center in room 1205 of the University Center, or requested by e-mailing or calling 361-6974. All participants will receive a free t-shirt and prizes will be awarded to the top three males and females.

            Kutchie, an NMU nursing major, was diagnosed with a stage 2 Astrocytoma tumor.  Recent surgery removed 70 percent of the cancerous growth. Kutchie must return every three months to undergo MRIs to make sure the remaining 30 percent does not spread, leaving her family with escalating medical expenses. Following graduation from NMU, Kutchie plans to attend graduate school at the University of Michigan for an oncology program so she can help other people with cancer.

Prepared By
News Director
October 27, 2008