The following guidelines are applicable to any advertisement that is either sponsored by or has an implied sponsorship of Northern Michigan University.
- Advertising sponsored by the university shall be for the purpose of reaching appropriate constituencies to disseminate information about educational opportunities, cultural events, recreational services, athletic events, public broadcasting programming and employment opportunities.
- Use of an official university mark is required. Marks must be used in accordance with the university's graphic standards manual. An official from UMC must approve any alterations or exceptions.
- Any advertising construed as objectionable is strictly prohibited. Types of objectionable elements or content include, but are not limited to:
- Discrimination (either overt or by omission) on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, or age;
- Profanity, obscenity, lewdness or any suggestions thereof; and
- Alcoholic beverages and tobacco products in name, likeness, or implication.
- The university reserves the right to be the sole judge of appropriate advertising.
- Sponsors of advertising programs should allow adequate lead times to develop creative concepts and produce quality-advertising materials, as well as plan and place media.
To ensure consistent quality and production values and because of collective bargaining contracts, sponsors must use on-campus graphic and video production services. These services can be obtained from:
- UMC: graphic design, photography and videography
- Learning Resource Center: audio visual services
Media budgeting, planning and placement consulting is available from the Marketing Director, Kelsey Potes.
Questions concerning the interpretation of these guidelines should be directed to UMC, 409 Cohodas Administrative Building.