left to right: Samir Nooshabadi, Daniel Gershenson, Noah Gershenson, Maggie Wang
One hundred thirteen students on twenty-eight teams from nine Upper Peninsula high schools participated in The Fourth Annual Upper Peninsula High School Math Challenge on Saturday 23 March 2013 on the campus of Northern Michigan University.
This was easily the largest Math Challenge to date. Of all the student enrichment activities offered by the Mathematics and Computer Science Department, the Math Challenge is certainly the fastest-growing.
The nine high schools that participated are:
1. A.D. Johnston Jr/Sr High School, Bessemer Area School District (Gogebic Co, MI)
2. Calumet High School, Public Schools of Calumet (Houghton Co, MI)
3. Houghton Central High School, Houghton-Portage Township Schools, (Houghton Co, MI)
4. Iron Mountain High School, Iron Mountain Public Schools (Dickinson Co, MI)
5. Ishpeming High School, Ishpeming Public School District (Marquette Co, MI)
6. Lake Linden-Hubbell High School, Lake Linden-Hubbell School District (Houghton Co, MI)
7. Marquette Senior High School, Marquette Area Public Schools (Marquette Co, MI)
8. Munising Baptist School, Private (Alger Co, MI)
9. Munising High and Middle School, Munising Public Schools (Alger Co, MI)
The top three individual scorers were as follows:
1. Daniel Gershenson, Houghton Central High School
2. Maggie Wang, Houghton Central High School
3. Noah Gershenson, Houghton Central High School
The top three team scorers were as follows:
1. Houghton Central High School "Black"
2. Lake Linden-Hubbell High School "2"
3. Calumet High School
Please contact Dr. Andy Poe for more information.