Severe Economic Hardship

Economic Hardship

A student can apply for Severe Economic Hardship if something drastically has changed in his/her financial support. Some examples: Father is a contractor and your home government has froze all his contracts, The person who is sponsoring you has a medical condition has has stopped him/her from work or there are extreme medical costs, Currency devaluation, etc...

To apply for Economic Hardship you must present the following:

A. Document the circumstances causing the economic need;

  1. Write a statement describing the unforseen hardship situation and, if possible, attach backup documentation; for example, a letter from home telling of a change in family circumstances or proof of a currency devaluation in the student's home country.

B. Explain why other employment options are unavailable or insufficient.

C. Complete Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization using the code: (c) (3) (iii) in item 16

D. Obtain two passport photos

E. Check to the order of "USCIS" (check for current fee)

  1. You can apply for a fee waiver by filing a I-912 request for a fee waiver application.

F. Copy of I-94 card (front and back)

G. Copy of the ID pages from the student's passport, or, for applications for renewal of work authorization, a photocopy of the previously issued EAD

Once you have all information together and you are ready to send in your application, please call the International Education Services Office at 906-227-2510 or email Angela Maki at