The basic elements are:
- Attendance at pre-student-teaching meeting – usually two semesters before you plan to student teach; there is a box on the application to check, marked “Interested in International Assignment.”
- Satisfactory completion of major/minor and methods courses.
- Approval from the NMU School of Education, Leadership and Public Service and your academic adviser(s).
- A meeting with IES to discuss options and follow-up application requirements.
- A completed student teaching application (Education) AND overseas program application.
- Communication with the overseas cooperating institution/teacher and university-approved supervisor.
- Visa paperwork, immunizations, police clearance, as required.
- Pre-departure orientation, coordinated by International Education Services.
- Program payment.
NMU has formal arrangements with the following organizations and institutions:
Educators Abroad- English speaking placements in 50+ countries. Applications available online. Print and submit to International Programs.
Other opportunities may be arranged on an individual basis. Contact Joe Lubig in the School of Education, Leadership and Public Service.