Linnaeus University, SWEDEN



Linnaeus University is one of the larger higher education institutions in Sweden, with locations in two different cities - Kalmar and Växjö. It is known for its strong international profile. Every year more than 1,600 international students from all over the world go there to study. The learning environment is characterized by an active student life with teaching and research staff in close proximity to students. The buildings are modern and environmentally-friendly. The university has good connections with local businesses and organizations.


Go to: 

Basic Information

Language of instruction: English, Swedish

Best major/minor: Biology, Business, Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing, Computer Science, Economics, Electrical Engineering, English, Food Science, Mathematics, Peace and Development Studies 

Eligibility:  Students should have completed at least 24 credits and have an NMU 2.5 GPA at the time of application.

Fall Semester:  Late August-middle of January (please note: Linnaeus refers to this semester as “Autumn Semester”

Winter/Spring Semester:  Middle of January -first week of June


Linnaeus University arranges accommodation for all incoming exchange students from outside of Europe, provided that they submit their online application within the stated deadline. Rooms and apartments are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. By requesting help from Linnaeus University in arranging housing, the students certify that if they cancel their studies later than four weeks prior to the arrival, they are still required to pay three months' rent.

Your rent depends on the size of your room. Rent is paid one month in advance. A SEK 1,000 ($102*) deposit, which is payable when you pick up your keys, is required.

You are expected to provide your own bed linens, towels, and kitchenware. Dorm rooms and apartments have internet connection, but you will need a network adapter/card of Ethernet standard 10MB and a TP cable of Category 5.

If you wish to send packages of personal belongings before you arrive, Linnaeus has provided addresses and instructions for sending packages here. 

Linneaus Housing Video

Estimated Cost of Participation

Students pay their tuition and fees to Northern Michigan University, and can access their financial aid while studying abroad. The cost of housing, medical insurance, and services will be paid directly to Linnaeus University.

Insurance coverage from Sweden

More information on the cost of living in Sweden

Click here to view the breakdown of fees and estimated expenses for a semester at Linnaeus University.

How to apply

In order to apply to participate in this exchange, students will need to carefully complete and submit the forms/information listed below. All materials should be submitted to the International Education Services Office by the posted deadline.

  1. Set up an advising meeting with an IES Study Abroad Advisor to discuss program interest.

    • The IES advisor will give you the complete cost packet.

  2. Meet with Financial Aid to determine eligibility.

    • Bring your cost packet with you to the meeting.

  3. Complete the NMU Application for Study Abroad 

  4. IES Exchange Coordinator nominates you to the exchange university of choice.

  5. After nomination is confirmed with Linnaeus, the student will receive an email with instructions on how to proceed with application.

  6. Please note: Choosing your courses before applying is crucial. There are limited possibilities to make changes after the application process is finished and there is NO add/drop period. 

When you submit your application, the following documents should be enclosed to show your eligibility:

    • Linnaeus Exchange Application Form (signed by both student and home university coordinator) A link to this form will be provided in student’s acceptance email.

    • Official Copy of your NMU transcript 

    • (Waived for native English Speakers) Certificate of English proficiency. This is a self-evaluation form, provided in the acceptance email, and must be signed by a professional language instructor.

    • Scanned copy of passport (in pdf format)

    • Pre-course evaluation sheet (from home university). You will be selecting courses at this time!

Please note: You are welcome to schedule an appointment with the exchange coordinator to complete the application during a meeting. This is recommended, based on past student experiences.


Nomination deadlines: 

  • Autumn semester 2019 or Academic Year: March 15

  • Spring semester 2019: September 15

    • Once confirmed, the nominated students will receive an email with instructions on how to complete the online application. 

Online Application:

  • Autumn semester 2019: April 15

    • We strongly recommend to submit the applications by April 1 because of limited course availability. After April 15th, you cannot change your course choices. 

  • Spring semester 2019: October 15.

    • We strongly recommend to submit the applications by October 1 because of limited course availability. After October 15, you cannot change your course choices

How to Search for Courses

Students should be aware that exchange partner universities do not normally waive prerequisite courses for visiting exchange students. While searching for courses, students should make sure they have completed the equivalent of the prerequisites listed by the exchange university.

Choosing courses at Linnaeus is very different than planning your classes for an NMU semester. Courses are taken one at time. For more information, please talk to the exchange coordinator at your home university.

To find courses for exchange students (in English), click here


Understanding Grades and Credits

In order to be an exchange student at Linnaeus, you must enroll in at least 30 ECTS credits. ECTS stands for the European Credit Transfer System and is typically divided in half to determine US credits. For example, 30 ECTS credits will be the equivalent of 15 US credits.

Students will be required to have courses pre-evaluated by Department Heads before departure. After choosing classes, students should set up meetings with the appropriate Department Heads to determine NMU credit equivalencies. Please bring syllabus information and the Pre-Course Evaluation Form to the meeting.

The Pre-Course Evaluation Form should be submitted to the IES office when completed. This document will be kept in the student file and is necessary for the completion of transcript evaluation.

Once the IES office receives the official transcript from the exchange university, the student will see the NMU course equivalencies listed on NMU transcript.

Grades will also transfer back as they equate to the grading scale at Northern Michigan University.

Other important information

Non-EU/EEA citizens must have been granted a student residence permit ('uppehållstillstånd för studier') before entering Sweden. In order to qualify for a residence permit, you must have been granted admission to full-time studies (at least 30 credits per semester). You should apply for your permit on the Migration Agency's website or at the nearest Swedish embassy or consulate 2-3 months before departure. Don't leave for Sweden without your student residence permit! A tourist visa is not sufficient as it is only valid for three months.

You need the following documents when applying for your student residence permit:

  • Copy of your passport

  • Letter of acceptance from Linnaeus University, the Notification of Selection Results

  • Certificate showing comprehensive medical insurance cover valid in Sweden. Fee-paying students are covered by the FAS insurance (the condition is that you have paid your tuition fee for the first semester). This insurance is issued under the authority of Kammarkollegiet. You can find the information regarding the FAS insurance on the Notification of Selection Results, that is what you upload when the Migration Agency ask you for proof of insurance.

  • A bank statement showing sufficient funds to support yourself during your studies (e.g. a bank guarantee), approximately SEK 8190 per month OR a document proving you have been awarded a scholarship or are in receipt of a study grant/student loan/salary or equivalent, detailing the amount and period during which you will be receiving the funds.

For further information on residence permits, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency. A list of Swedish embassies can be found here.

Other important links

Linnaeus University Exchange Student Webpage
Linnaeus Instagram: linneuniversitetet
Linnaeus Facebook


Last updated: 2/17/20
*US dollar amounts are an estimate based off of time it was researched. Values of currencies are constantly fluctuating.