J-1 scholars must be mindful of visa concerns when planning any international travel. The following contain information that will help you plan your next trip outside the United States during your J-1 scholar program.

Are you traveling overseas? To re-enter the United States, you will need the following:

  1. Valid I-20 or DS-2019 recently endorsed with signature from International Education Services Office (IES).
  2. Valid visa stamp in passport. Check the expiration date. If expired, you must renew at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. (Please note, if you have been outside of the United States for 5 months or longer and your F-1 or J-1 visa is still valid i.e. unexpired, you may need a NEW visa according to a recent State Department rule. Please check with the nearest US consulate to determine if your visa is still valid for entry to the US.)
  3. Valid Passport
  4. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) no longer provides paper I-94 cards at the Port of Entry (except in limited circumstances).

If you have any questions before you depart the U.S., please contact the International Education Services at

U.S. Embassies and Foreign Embassies

Travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands