Scholarship for international students participating in non-degree international exchange programs
Students from universities around the world are eligible to receive The Superior Experience scholarship in order to study at NMU as a non-degree seeking exchange student. This scholarship allows students to experience up to one year at a top-notch U.S. institution, while paying tuition fees that are equivalent to the in-state or resident tuition rate. Please contact Susan Morgan at email@example.com to apply. If you don't see your home university listed as a recognized NMU exchange partner, please contact us and your home school international office. In many cases, it is possible for terms to be arranged that allow your participation.
Eligibility & Award Criteria:
- Must be participating through a formal exchange program recognized by NMU.
- Must be nominated by the responsible international officer on your home campus.
- Must be eligible to obtain and hold a valid U.S. student visa and remain in be in status throughout your period of study in the U.S.
- Must meet any program specific admission requirements
- Must be enrolled full-time as a non-degree seeking NMU student
- Recipients are eligible for the award for a maximum of one academic year
- Fall & Winter semester awards will be $2,200 each
- Summer semester awards will be $1,100 each
- Award winners are expected to participate in intercultural sharing and/or service activities
- There is no application process for the scholarship. Recipients will be notified of the award during the program enrollment process.
1. Fill out the Application for The Superior Experience
2. Provide Certification of Finances in the amount of $24,931 for one academic year (two semesters) or $12,538 for one semester.
3. Transcript - Send a transcript to Northern Michigan University.
4. Passport - Provide us with a copy of your passport. This will be used to enter your name on your DS 2019 as it appears in your passport.
5. English Proficiency - TOEFL score of 61 iBT, 173 computer based or IELTS score of a 6 OR you will take a AccuPlacer test at NMU and be placed in the appropriate English composition course EN 109 (5 credits) or EN 090 (4 credits). If you do not provide an English Proficiency score, then we will set up a SKYPE interview time to evaluate your English. This is a new immigration requirement that all exchange visitors English must be evaluated.
Estimated Fees (2016-17 Fall and Winter Semesters)
|Tuition and Fees (based on 12-16 credit hours per semester)||$15,262||$7,631|
|Room & Board||$9,838||$4,919|
|Books & Supplies||$730||$365|
|Health Insurance||$1,294 (mandatory)||$719 (mandatory)|
|Personal & Travel||$2,207||$1104|
|Total for Academic Year||$24,931||$12,538|
Note: The Superior Experience scholarship is deducted from tuition amount above.
All information should be sent to the following address:
Northern Michigan University
International Education Services Office
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855
Once you have been admitted as a non-degree student, you will receive your admissions letter and DS 2019. You will be sent a detailed e-mail of what your next steps are for example: How to select courses, set up your NMU e-mail account, register for housing and orientation etc....
Additional Information regarding housing, health insurance, orientation and the academic calendar.