Student_Worker.jpgWorking while pursuing your degree is a great way to secure additional funding, meet people, make friends, practice your English and learn about American culture in a very hands-on way.

As an F1/J1 student, you are eligible to work on campus for 20 hours per week during school, and 40 hours per week during school breaks. Students can work off campus only if they have received written work authorization approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the International Programs Office.

F1 Visa Employment

1. On campus employment

2. Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

3. Optional Practical Training (OPT)

4. Economic Hardship

J1 Visa Employment

1. On campus employment

2. Academic Training

Wilberforce Pamphlet
If you are coming to the United States to work or study, we are confident that you will have a pleasant and rewarding stay. If you should encounter any problems, however, know that you have rights and can get help. The pamphlet linked below informs you of your rights as a nonimmigrant visa holder in certain employment- and education-based categories (specifically A-3, G-5, NATO-7, B-1 domestic employees, H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, and J-1 visa holders). The U.S. government created this pamphlet at the prompting of the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (Public Law 110-457), which reaffirms and strengthens the U.S. government’s commitment to fight human trafficking and labor abuses in all their forms.

International Education Office can assist you with questions you may have regarding on-campus and off-campus employment. We can be reached at ies@nmu.edu or 906-227-2510.