Estimated Fees (2016-17 Fall and Winter Semesters)
|Tuition and Fees||Waived||Waived|
|Room & Board||$9,839||$4,919|
|Books & Supplies||$730||$365|
|Health Insurance||$1294 (mandatory)||$719|
|Personal & Travel||$2,207||$1103|
|Total for Academic Year||$14,070||$7,106|
Application Procedures: All exchange semesters begin with an official nomination from an international officer at your home university. Once your nomination has been accepted by NMU and you have received permission from your home school exchange officer, you are able to follow the application steps below. (Note that some international officers require you to submit your forms to the home office. They are then forwarded to NMU in a group mailing.)
1. Fill out the Application for Exchange Students
2. Provide Certification of Finances in the amount of $14,070 for one academic year (two semesters) or $7,106 for one semester.
3. Transcript - Send a transcript to Northern Michigan University.
4. Passport - Copy of your passport identity page.
5. English Proficiency - TOEFL score of 61 iBT, 173 computer based or IELTS score of a 6 OR you will take a Accuplacer placement test at NMU and be placed in the appropriate English composition course EN 109 (5 credits) or EN 090 (4 credits). If you do not provide this we will need to do a SKYPE interview as it is a new J1 regulation that we verify each exchange visitors English ability.
Please mail your complete application to:
Northern Michigan University
ATTN: International Education Services
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855
Once you have been admitted as a non-degree student, you will receive your admissions letter and DS 2019. You will be sent a detailed e-mail of what your next steps are for example: How to select courses, set up your NMU e-mail account, register for housing and orientation etc....
Additional Information regarding housing, health insurance, orientation and the academic calendar.