Global Academy Finances

Superior Edge Volunteer Service Group India 2013

Authorization for Travel

  • Each FLSA program has an individual account/organization number assigned by the NMU Controller’s office and managed 
    by the Director of International Programs.

  • University expenses are now processed exclusively through CONCUR, electronic accounting software. 
    A Concur identity and log-in credentials must be requested by your immediate supervisor, generally the department head.

  • When the FLSA budget has been finalized, you must log-in to Concur and complete the Travel Authorization function. 
    You will allocate the authorization to the org/account number assigned to your FLSA program
    by IPO. 

  • IPO staff will establish the appropriate dollar amount, taking into consideration those expenses you will personally reconcile at the end of the FLSA program.

  • Your Concur authorization will be sent for review and approval first to your supervisor (default) and second to the IPO manager of your program account.

  • Travel Authorization is not the same as permission to spend.  In all cases, it is important that you manage funds wisely
    and keep within the limits of the program budget.

International Travel Registration

  • The university is concerned with staff and student health and security throughout the period of enrollment.  As part of the Risk Management protocol, all university-funded international travel must be registered in the online Travel Registration software managed by the IPO.  The link to the registry is located on your MyNMU employee tab and requires a single-sign-on using your NMU ID and personal password.

  • The registry prompts users to provide passport information, details of the travel itinerary, emergency contacts, and several signature documents acknowledging review and understanding of travel policy.

  • IPO reviews official government advisories for the regions identified in the traveler’s itinerary and monitors these sites to provide accurate and timely information related to health and security.  Travel permissions may be disrupted or revoked if the site is identified as an area where insurance policies (including liability) are not available, or where the university’s ability to provide timely transfer of financial and/or insurance coverage is compromised.

  • Travel Registration must be entered and approved prior to release of funds related to the FLSA program.  Leaders are advised to complete the registration process in tandem with the Concur Travel Authorization process outlined above.

Cash Advance for Approved International Travel

  • Many on-site expenses are handled best with small reserves of cash.  Approved FLSA leaders may request cash allowance for on-site expenses that have been included in the approved FLSA budget.  The cash advance is only available for authorized international travel; domestic travel is not eligible for advance. 

  • Expense estimates must be supported with documentation from the account manager (IPO for FLSAs).

  • Requests for cash advance must be made at least two weeks prior to travel.  The cash advance will be available by check 3 days prior to the first day of travel.   Funds must be picked up by the authorized traveler in the Vendors Payable office during regular business hours; photo id and a signature are required.   

  • The cash advance is issued as a debit on the traveler’s NMU e-bill account; authorized transactions are expensed at the conclusion of travel, and any unaccounted funds must be refunded to the University. 

  • Leaders may deposit the cash advance into a personal checking account and utilize automated teller machines on-site for cash withdrawals converted into the local currency.  It is wise to record the dates and locations of your overseas withdrawals.

  • Check on daily withdrawal limits and on single-transaction fees.  It may be possible to raise limits temporarily.  Check whether your bank requires a PIN or password for international transactions.

  • Keep detailed receipts for expenses made from the cash advance, noting names or other identifying information on the back of the receipt(s). 

University-Issued Credit Card or Personal Credit Card

  • Most FLSA expenses will have been pre-paid prior to departure.   If you have been issued a university-supported credit card for university business purposes, you are permitted to use it only for authorized FLSA expenses included in the budget. All expenditures are governed by the user agreements issued by Purchasing at the time the card was disbursed.  You will want to check on both the single-transaction  and monthly limit specific to your card.  Increased limits must be approved and requested by the leader’s immediate supervisor, generally the department head.  

  • Be aware that chip-embedded, holographic credit cards are required in many destinations, including most of the UK and Western Europe.  In addition, your credit card(s) may require a PIN for use out of the country.  The NMU-issued Mastercard DOES REQUIRE A PIN.  We recommend you write your PIN (issued with your new credit card letter) in a secure place and/or keep a memo securely stored on a phone or tablet.   For questions or trouble-shooting related to use of the card, contact the NMU Purchasing Department for prompts to re-set the PIN.   P: + 1 906-227-2360

  • You may utilize a personal credit card for program-approved expenses, but plan to do so as a last option.  Keep careful, detailed receipts.

  • ALWAYS call any and all credit card companies or issuing banks at approximately one week prior to your departure - inform them of where you will be using the card, for how long, and when you will return.  You will be issued a phone number for use in reporting problems outside the United States.    Fraud detection is becoming increasingly sophisticated, and your card may be stopped by the bank if it detects unusual activity involving your card.   

Receipts and Account Settlement

  • Keep an original receipt for each overseas expenditure. The receipt should include the date, location and explanation of the expense.  It is a good idea to jot down notes on the back of the receipt, for instance: “bus ride to Windsor Castle.”  Your notes will be very helpful as you organize your account settlement after you return.

  • If your vendor is unable to provide a receipt, you may write one for expenditures under $50.  Hand-written receipts must include your name, the date, expense, amount, and  - whenever possible -  a signature from the vendor.

  • If you plan to disburse cash to students for meal allowances, museum entry fees, etc., write a separate receipt for each expense and have each student sign the receipt.  Some faculty leaders have prepared blank group receipt forms prior to departure, listing each participant’s name and a line for initials/signature.

  • Certain expenses are included under the university’s general travel policies and do not require a written receipt: per diem amounts for meals, mileage for personal vehicle use, gratuities, taxis, etc.   Such expenditures must still fall within the total program budget and may be denied if approval was not obtained during the period of travel.

  • Settlement of FLSA expenses and receipts must be submitted in Concur within 30 days after the program’s conclusion.

  • Any outstanding student payments will be expensed to the student’s receivable account and later transferred to the FLSA account.  

  • Final account reconciliation will be made by the IPO, generally within 60 days of the program’s conclusion. The report includes both the original program budget and a record of actual expenditures – a useful document for planning future offerings of the FLSA program.

  • The coordinator responsible for managing FLSA programs is assigned “delegate” permissions in CONCUR for access to faculty leader settlements associated with the FLSA account.

  • Both the IPO financial director and the FLSA leader are required to sign the final reconciliation report.  It is then submitted to Vendors Payable, with journal entries made to produce a zero-balance in the accounting. 

  • Reconciliation Reports and supporting documents are stored in the IPO and are archived according to a schedule established under general university accounting policy.